1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rose Prunning

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DBLC, Aug 25, 2003.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

When should I prune roses? I now the "best" time is after the first frost, but I have a customer that needs them done NOW!! Will it kill the roses, or not let them bloom? Thanks!
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

you can prune them now but I wouldn't go to crazy on them. Just tell the customer to water the bush daily for about 2 weeks.
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Why prune them now? Aren't they still blooming? Mine bloom all season then I cut them to the ground in November and cover them with 4-5" of mulch.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

If you have to control them now, then take off 1/3. Then in the fall do your hard cutting
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Roses will bloom well into winter, if the weather is favorable. Up here in Mich., we deadhead the floribundas, grandifloras, and hybrid teas until the middle of Sept. After that, NO pruning. It is preferred to let them set seed (hips) rather than to force them to keep growing by pruning. This is done to allow the plants to harden for the winter. After the ground just starts to freeze, the crowns should be buried in mulch, compost, soil, etc. At this time, a few long canes can be pruned back to keep from whipping in the winter winds. After the frost is out of the ground, remove soil,mulch, compost, etc., and prune back hard. If you live where the weather is more favorable in the winter, someone else will have to chime in.
  6. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DBLC,

Here is a great link to learn more about rose pruning.
  8. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

great link - gopher. Thanks!!!
  9. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Gopher.......THAT WAS THE BEST LINK EVER!!!! THANKS!!!