1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Apr 6, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Is it too late to cut back roses? They are the "carefree" rosebushes and I am in Southern NJ, I'm pretty sure I can still do it but if I'm wrong yell now!
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Go for it better than not cutting back at all,just dont take them all the way down ,if there are good healthy buds bursting leave them.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It depends. Are they leafed? If so don't cut all back at once since it will keep them from flowering for a while. Cut a little over 1/2 of the bush down to give or take 10". After the longer stems bloom cut them down to 10". It really doesn't matter when you cut a rose back all it does is keep them or postpone them from flowering as much if you do it when they have already started to leaf and bud.
    Best time is late winter when they are completly leafless or as close to as leafless as possible.
    It is alot less debris at this time also.