RotaDairon

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dirt13, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Dirt13

Dirt13 LawnSite Member

Seasons Greetings.....Happy Holidays !!

Any one own or operate a 'RotaDairon' ? It's a one step soil processor.

Website is: www.RotaDairon.com. Any comments would be appreciated.

Dirt

+

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I saw one in use at a tradeshow of Flloyd Perry's but didn't get the chance to use it. It looked like it did a great job from what I did see though.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to advertise why don't you look into sponsoring the site.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Lightenup Sod, he was asking for comments, not advertiseing.

I have nevr used a rotodarion myself but the do a pretty good job of tilling up and smoothing the soil.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you're refering to my post, this guy quit doing his touring trade show a long time ago. I think he is retired now. Come to think of it I really shouldn't have included his name, didn't reallyneed to. Sorry to all the sponsors. As for Rotodarrion I think they have a link in Turf magazines section so they sort of are a sponsor.

6. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

Yes Dirt13, I have the RotaDairon attachment for the Toro Dingo, (not sure if that is the one that you are interested in) and I have been extremely pleased with it. It buries light debris, turns soil, and smooths the soil with a nice seedbed. Works extremely well for my needs. Will be happy to answer any specific questions you have about my experience with it. PM me if you have any.

7. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You have any pictures of the the work that it has done. Like prep work pictures and then the final pic when seed has started to grow. Just curious and would like to see some ofthe results. Thanks

8. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

BNL,

I was looking at the Rotodairon at the Dingo dealer last week. It looks awsome for seedbed preparation. Funny, but every shot that Toro has in their brochure are with a grade that is pretty much ready to seed. In most of those situations I would just throw some seed down and go.

Two questions:

1) How does that work when the ground isn't perfectly level? If I have the grade to plus or minus 2" will it finish it off?

2) Do you think it would work for bed prep in place of a tiller? I normally put down compost and then mix the ammendments in with a tiller. Is the Rotodairion too big for the job or would it get caught up in all the roots? It seems like you can pull the roller off and then you would basically be left with a tiller.

Thanks for the help,

John

9. This last year I did some lawn renovations where I stripped the sod, spread an inch of topsoil/compost and then tilled it with a rotodairon. It created a seedbed just like you see in their literature. Also did a lawn where I did not strip the sod or add topsoil and the machine pulverized the sod. These were relatively level lawns with stone free soil. I did them in one pass. I was happy with the completed job, the customers were happy. I also used the machine on lawns that were not level and consisted of poor soil with varying degrees of rock. Two things to understand. 1. Rocks half again as large as a softball are not going to be buried by the machine. It will instead bounce them in front of the rotors as you move slowly forward until you a) get to the end of that pass, b) it jams between the rotors, or c) you can't stand the noise, vibration and slow travel so you stop the tractor get down and remove the offending rock or rocks. When you stop the action of the machine you end up with a depression in the surface that has to be raked level. 2. If you go across a grade the machine will throw the surface soil to one side and I've had to go over the site again with either a york or hand rake to smooth the surface. The customers have been happy with the result but I've spent more time, fuel and effort than I wanted to on these jobs. Let me add that I'm new to this business. Most of my experience was on the handle of a handrake thirty some years ago when a york rake was the fanciest piece of lawn prep equipment my employer had after he bulldozed the final grades. I do this part time and didn't get as much work and therefore as much experience with the rotod as I would have liked. If I can answer any questions post them here or send me a PM. By the way I have the RD100, 40" working width, with the heavy roller behind a NH TC33D. Wish I had more hp ahead of this machine.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Red
    Would you say that a harly rake might be better? We run a pulverizer across the property to loosen the soil then use a harly rake or rock hound becouse of the large number of stones/rocks that are the size of baseballs. This leaves us with a finished seed bed with only minimal amount of hand raking. What I would like to do is eliminate one piece of equipment and a tractor on each job and was thinking of the rododarian after viewing there video. So what do you think kep what I got or demo a rodo out, I have a large number of rocks that need to be removed or buried thats the main reason I'm interested in one
    Thanks
    Mac