ROTAR's Warm Weather Review.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Oct 4, 2007.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Since we all "socialize" and comiserate here on LawnSite, and Mr. New England is looking for a seat on the southbound train for the winter, Fim had a great idea to conduct Rotar's job interview here in the irrigation forum. I'll get the ball rollin... I suppose anything goes, so long as it pertains to the proposed position.

Rotar,
    How would you convert to a PVC world with your Poly background? How would you prepare for a transition to a completely different market? What steps might you take before boarding that plane for the south?

2. Rotar,
    Do you speak or at least understand Spanish? Would you be willing to learn at least some phrases? How is your driving record?

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Why should Rotar need to speak Spanish?

Any company that hires employees should require that said employee speaks ENGLISH.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

si, espangol, con portgueese mi amigo un petie en fracnes mosiuer...

spelling is horrible..i can speak enough to get by in that french/spanish speaking country.I ran a crew of brazillians and others that spoke some romantic languages.
    Driving record- a few tickets...never a dui or serious speeding tickets, been in a few accidents.
    "
    Rotar,
    How would you convert to a PVC world with your Poly background? How would you prepare for a transition to a completely different market? What steps might you take before boarding that plane for the south?"

1.Well to convert to a pvc world one has to keep in mind a few things...That some jobs might not manifold, possibly you all single strand remote boxes with single valves in them.That @ times the pipe in the ground Could possibly be a prime example of the "breaking effect" to keep the water good.I can burry any sprinkler that you throw @ me.If its on the pipe or on a Marlex swing joint, or just a plane old bushing. The turf is different then my Kentucky blue grass in New England.Do you all have Bermuda grass? I think..I know you all have the water meter's in the ground with a DCA instead of a PVB above ground. I am familiar with "welding" pipes in the ground up to 2.5 inch. I know you all might not pull pipe, and most likely use a trencher to install. You never put the pvc Joints under stress when installing them.I have seen a few pictures of 4 90's on the big pipe from londonrain to take stress off the pipe?

2.The transition would be quite drastic except for a few things.I know if possible i can 521 a wire no problem to locate a problem valve...I know you all like to use large boxes for the valves. No doubt the ET rate, abundance of available potable water,digging in the ground, soil content,lawn disease among many other things will all be new to me..I am already brushing up on my TEXAS irrigation LISC. books to ensure I fully embrace what I'm about to throw myself into..Is the trouble shooting process is going to be different in some ways? maybe. Its quite possible that you all have ET sensors or weather sensors.

3. I already took the first step today with my boss and asked him when he is going to lay me off...Which is strange cause employee's usually don't anticipate such a change.What kind of attire is suitable for such a climate,what types of tools should I bring down.

by i just typed way to much..oh well.

keep em coming.

5. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Someone's going to ask..mite as well be a cyber buddy..ROTAR, do you have
    any "habits" we're going to find out about..I think we all know what I'm
    refering to..my personal feeling with my employees is what goes on after
    hours is their business. Hoskman mite not & it would be good to settle that.
    I required a abstract of the driving record & willingness to submit to a
    physical ( no not the physical on your avatar). Any evidence of abuse on the
    job was instant dismissal...no second chance. No radios, walkmans, etc.,
    no smoking on the site while working. I'm as loose as anyone, but I built my
    business to reflect a straight arrow approach..no butt cracks either.:laugh:

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Great straight foward questions.IF I were to come out there I would be coming to work...I would throw rocks @ trees if "the boss" told me to for 10 hours a day..As far as substance abuse I have never "drank a few beers" or "taken a few hits of pot" on the job..As far as the ipod thing if the dude wants my ears ready and able thats no problem...Physical-I can't afford to pay it, but would take one for EL HEFFE if it was asked of me.Like I said Mike, I just want to be in a new location and learn new types of irrigation. I'm willing to make any sacrifice necessary..I already try to wear pants every day, steel toe boots,sun glasses for the eyes, and when I'm a digging all day a back brace.I keep my shirt tucked in as much as possible....Never swear or curse....

keep em coming buddy.

8. Mike Leary

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

this year twice i wore shorts...and it was cause my pants were dirty and i never come to work looking like a slob..shirt tucked, belt on..pants @ or around waste level @ all times.

10. Mike Leary

OK, OK..just checking....don't want no preverts in Arizona.:laugh: