Rotary belts, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Apr 9, 2002.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new belt for my 52" Surfer and it looked a lot more heavy duty than the one I am replacing. It is red and the little logo on it says rotary I think. It feels like the thing is made of cloth instead of rubber and the the guy I bought it from (whom I will say has never steared me wrong before) said it is a much better belt and is for commercial. It only cost $20 which seems cheap compared to the belt prices I've read about on searches I've done. Feedback?

2. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

"Ahhh grasshopper, .........with discovery of red belt, your knowledge have come full circle" (pun intended)

What you have there, is a kevlar belt sold by rotary. All their kevlar's are red. And yes, they are the best belts money can buy.
    Cost about the same (thanks to rotary's lower pricing across the board) but last longer. Good find, danielson!!! :)

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

LOL at lakegastonia's post. but he is right. they are good belts, and much cheaper than a factory belt.

our deaer gets most of his aftermarket parts through rotary, and ive never had a problem with most of these parts.

4. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Put it on yesterday after work and mowed my front yard (1 acre) without a hitch although once it got pretty wet I think this belt was slower to engage when I flipped the clutch. I run doubles so it usually takes a second longer for them to catch on. Thanks for the information. I called the guy back that I bought it from and he said it was a Kevlar belt and would last a lot longer than my old belt.