Rotary broom for snow removal ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yardmanlee, Sep 5, 2006.

1. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I know its a little early for this topic, But I was wondering for those who do not get that much snow in the winter, If anyone has used this attachment
    before ? and would like to see a couple of pics of some set ups, and of course any comments !!!

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a gehl and john deere slid loader with rotary brooms, and I have 4 gravely convertibles with rotary brooms.

for small amounts of snow or for dry snow they work great. if you let it get too deep, then youre kinda screwed....

If you end up with a broom, stay away form the poly, you want 50% wire and 50% poly, they hold up the best and do the best jobs.

And the brand to buy is Sweepster...hands down the best...IMO

3. yardmanlee

would'nt the wire broom leave scratch marks on concrete or other surfaces ?

4. MarcSmith

I have not noticed. Maybe if you have 100% wire It might. but the 50/50 blend works and holds up well.

We use them on all surfaces, asphalt, brick, paver, concrete. I have not noticed and deterioration or marking...
    The wire is not as thick as the poly and it does bend, the biggest issue (imo) with the poly is longevity.... They wear down fast and seem to be too flexible....

5. yardmanlee

Thanks Mark, most times we dont get alot of snow but then there are times we get slammed !!! just thinkin of an easier way of removing the light stuff
    probably alot easier than a shovel and would do a better clean up !!

thanks again

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

what would you put it on?

7. yardmanlee

thats something else I havent really give it much thought It would be nice to have it on a walk behind machine that way it could be used in many diffrent places but dosent know if anybody makes that type of attachment
    I could possibly fab. my own !!! Has an older walkbehind and putting a plow on it and while I was doing that could also make to were I could add a broom as well !!!! just some thoughts !!! if anybody has such a machine I would like to see some pics of them !

Thanks

8. MarcSmith

I have the brooms attached to a skid loader, and the gravely convertable
    http://www.m-bco.com/attachments.php for some brooms and what you can put them on

the gravely looks like this only with a rotary broom or a plow on the front...

I think Walker used to make a rotary broom for their mowers....and I have seen a walk behind mower with the deck taken off and a plow blade in its place.

I really want the Bobcat toolcat http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/applications.html?appType=fairgrounds
    as my next major peice of equipment....

RWB_3_TractorAndWalker.jpg

9. yardmanlee

thanks Mark I'll look at that stuff later I gotta get to work !!! the grass is callin me out !!!