Rotary Cutters

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Greg633, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Greg633

Greg633 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I just recently cleared 4 acres of woods that surrounds my house. I hired a contractor to clear the stumps and debris so it is pretty well ready to start bush-hogging. I purchased a 1958 Ford 4000 diesel tractor {Approximately 40HP}. Can anyone recommend a good brand of rotary cutter? I am leaning toward a 6 foot. I will probably buy something new as the used cutters in this area seem to be few and far between.

I am fairly ignorant on this subject as my only previous tractor experience is an International Cub my dad had to cut our property when I was a kid, so please speak in layman's terms.:confused::confused: Thx.-GT

2. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

kuhn be a good choice

3. Greg633

Greg633 LawnSite Member

Thx. I'll look into them.-GT

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

That little ford, try a 5' model, my favorite is a Bush hog model 205 or 305 3 point lift type. These have a removable left side panel, which allows you to shoot the debris out to the left side (as you sit in the seat). Older bush hogs are easy to find, and if the bottom seal is leaking, just fill up the gearbox with grease. The last one I bought at an estate auction I think I paid around $250.00 for it. Check out ebay, iron planet, ytmag, all list them!:waving:

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I like landpride, having owned several and now running a medium duty RCR 1860. Figure 5 pto hp per foot of implement for maximum cutter performance.

6. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

It seems like the old 4000 Ford tractors were up around 55hp. I could be wrong but I believe it is higher than 40. Anyway, we've always run Bushhog brand cutters. We don't farm any more but my father still has an old 5' Bushhog cutter that has the deck rusted through but it cuts as clean as it did from day one with zero problems other than the rusted deck.

7. Greg633

Greg633 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your input.

I think you may be right about the HP rating. I was grading with my tiller prongs down and caught a few roots the other day. This old tractor yanked right through them. It never seems to bog down. At the back of the property I had a few 15 inch diameter trees down and it climbed right over them.

I'm still looking around for a used Bush Hog. The best price I got on a new Bush Hog 286 Series was $2000. They wanted more than that for the medium duty Woods brand. I found a Lowery Dealer out here but I haven't made it by his shop yet. I haven't found a Kuhn, or Landpride rotary cutter dealer yet.

As far as e-bay the shipping would probably be a fortune as these cutters weigh close to 1000 pounds. I may be able to find one in this area on e-bay though. I'll have to check that out too.

Thanks again!

8. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

I run a 7 footer on a 1965 diesel ford 4000. I don't know if yours is the gas or diesel 4000 but the diesel handles the 7'er fine. Might want to stay with a 6 footer with the gas engine but I never ran one with a gasser.

9. Greg633

Greg633 LawnSite Member

It is a diesel. It has a lot of power for its age. It was climbing over some nice size dead trees on the back 40 without even grunting. It started making me feel better about my age as this tractor and I could be twins...at least in age.:)