1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rotating Grapple for Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Sep 29, 2006.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone have any experience using a rotating grapple on a mini to medium size excavator? Bobcat makes model 30 and model 40. I have been hard pressed to find other manufactures who offer this type of attachment for mini's.
    My purpose: I currently set rock with a bucket/thumb combo with an 18,000 lb. machine and have seen some 200-300 series machines with this unit and it seems to be a whole lot faster in production.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about something like a Log Loader, or something like a
    rotating clamshell bucket?
  3. RockSet N' Grade

Was kinda hoping for some of your input....
    What I have seen/been looking at is a fixed unit, 360 degree rotation, clam-style or claw style unit.
    I have talked with a manufacturer in Canada and they make these things for larger machines, but have not tapped the mini market. Just browsing, I saw Bobcat offers a rotating grapple.....I've left a week worth of messages to cust. service reps at BobCat with no return calls....so, I'm huntin' for real life experiences or leads..
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

These guys make excellent grapples, I know a couple guys who set rock walls with PSM grapples exclusively and the longetivity of these units is great. They are built here in WA, about 25 minutes from my apartment, and the guy that owns the company I mowed his vacation home lawn back in my home town of Chelan my senior year in high school. Small world.

Oh yeah, the lightest model they make weighs 820 pounds, not much more than a bucket, if not less. That should work on an 18,000 pound machine, even the 1200 pound model should work well.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

Thanks GR.....have looked at those sites and talked with them on phone. I have not seen one on mini/med. ex either, but have seen them in production for setting rock on the bigger units and they are sweet. Guess they should be for $30,000 plus!
    I'm exploring possibilities and looking for an edge....Talked with BobCat rep today, and even though they market them, he can't think of any that are in use in our state.....I just gotta find out if it works, is too heavy a unit, yada-yada-yada....I told the rep if he finds one installed on a mini/med. hoe I would drive/fly to demo it to see if it really works......
  7. RockSet N' Grade

On another note.....Bought a final drive last week (which is on a ship, truck or carrier pidgeon somewherre other than here).....Have become somewhat of an expert on diagnosing and experiencing the wonders of a final drive when it decides to fade and then quit......$3,600 for the new drive unit....
  8. RockSet N' Grade

Thanks Scag,
    Just got off the fone with PSM and they are sending me info on a unit for my machine....Kinda wish they would give these things away.....$18,100 for a unit that fits......gotta set alot of rock to justify that check!
  9. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

winter shop project = $1500, (+ quite a few hours) but if you have the work to pay for it, don't waste your time building
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

No problem man, glad I could be of service. You won't be dissapointed, their attachments are great, PSM buckets and thumbs are everywhere out here. Actually, the thumb on our 312 was built by PSM and branded Cat, the PSM badged thumbs look identical and the buckets look close to the same as well. High quality stuff.