roto tilling question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, May 10, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:
    All right as you may be aware this is my first year out. I have a customer that needs 2 sections roto tilled about 20x30 feet a piece I was wondering, what would be a fair price to charge. I would appreciate any info

Ken

2. meathead1134

nothing yet?????

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

New ground (virgin soil, like with the grass still intact), or previously worked soil?
    What equipment do you have to work with? For me, if it's already been tilled in the past, about $35. If it's new ground, around $50. But then i have a 36" tiller on back of a 20hp hydrostatic drive Wheel Horse tractor that makes quick work of tilling! Your prices will vary, being in MA your prices probably higher?

4. meathead1134

This section of grass is dead. He wants it tilled and reseated. I would have to either borrow a tiller or rent one. I don't have one as of yet.

Ken

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Get a rear tine not a front tine! Front tine tillers beat you to death and won't do much very quickly. A rear tine is the only way to go to get through grass. Charge him at least $45 for that. More if you can. If you have to rent one that will eat up all of your profit.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would get $40-50 for that with my B7500 and 48" sovema tiller. It would take me 15 mins to do. With a walkbehind tiller would take longer. About an hour.

7. meathead1134

thanks guys. I have a coworker that he let me use his for free! Should I throw in some fertilizer with it??