1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rotor and valve box leveling tool

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by squeaker, Oct 31, 2005.

1. squeaker

squeaker LawnSite Member

any body out there ever need one of these,they are a great tool for athletic fields and golf courses they run 99.00 plus s/h,give me a jingle if you have any interest,they consist of a 4' piece of alum with a cross piece at each end and 2 adjustable clamps that slide on the main bar you just lock in the valve box or rotor and you have a nice level head or box that no longer gets chopped up by the mowers or people arent trippin on them,also nice on golr heads so the nozzle throws the water out evenly from both sides
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

$3.99 at Wally World.

Perhaps you should market your tool to the hardscape guys? I gaurantee I can set a level box by eye faster than someone could with your gizmo.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

And add this to help leveling. :dizzy:

3lb Sledge Hammer EM.jpg
  4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

If your "eyeball level" needs this kind of apparatus, you might check the license of your optometrist.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

A six foot hard rake will get it done every time for valve boxes, and I like rotors and sprays a smidge high. You've got to be really high in my opinion for a head to be in danger from mowing equipment, and even 1/4" isn't a true trip hazzard in turf. I think 1/4" high would be excessive, but 1/8 isn't. Much better high than low.
  6. PurpHaze

Hey now... I DO have my AARP card and my close eyesight has been getting worse each year. I now have to carry glasses to read just about everything because my arms have seemed to shrunk a little too. ;)

But when it comes to sprinkler head height and orientation my eye sight is still spot on. :cool:
  7. PurpHaze

I use the rake method from time to time. I also use a 4' level if I'm putting boxes in the same area and the soil has been so disturbed that I can't get a good read on the true grade. Boxes on sloped grade get set to the grade end-to-end and leveled side-to-side. :dizzy: