Rotor rotation amount

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray-head-dave, Nov 9, 2005.

1. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

Most rotors that I use say that the smallest part-circle is 40 degrees; does anyone know of a manufacture that makes something smaller; example 30 degrees.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro TR50 - 30°   ~   Rainbird R50 - 25°   ~   Rainbird Maxipaw - 20°

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A garden hose can water in about a three degree arc. :D

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen a few situations were a rotor was placed in a triangle with a 25 or so degree angle, and there was no way to avoid overspray.

I think in the future I'd swap it out for a MP rototator.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

MPs only are 90° and up.

But the original question. Are you trying to make a long end strip? Use an impact rotor like Boots said and lock the trip collars close.

6. PurpHaze

The garden hose answer was just a joke....

When I encounter these strange angles in the interior of a site I've gotten to the point of just ignoring interior sidewalks. However, on an exterior zone or the residential/commercial systems you guys run into these angles can be a pain. I have installed some zones where I actually didn't put a sprinkler in the angle and then fudge the surrounding sprinklers towards that angle a little. Although it isn't perfect it usually gives the area enough water to sustain grass. Then people start cutting the corner and nothing will grow there anyway.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck is going through architects' minds when they come up with some of this stuff. A class I was taking made a field trip to UCLA to look at a landscaping project by a guy working on his masters degree. This was a new area between two buildings and he left it bare for almost a year. During that time he tracked the movement of students, staff and service vehicles in/through the area and then designed the landscape accordingly. It was a beautiful area that showed very little wear and tear, had resting areas, shade trees and turf areas. It was fun meeting the guy and going over all his research. His basic premise was that people are creatures of habit. Build to that habit and things don't change very much even though the students change yearly.

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Best LA story I ever heard came from the time I spent in Manhattan at K-State. Seems a senior in interior landscape archeticture had submitted a fantastic project with some phenomenal plant selections. This student became quite upset when the instructor refused to accept the project because of the plant list. Seems the focus specimen was so rare that only two or three were known to exist and these were all in arboretums and unatainable. This kid didn't seem to grasp the concept that his project needed to be realistic.

8. PurpHaze

How true. It's hard enough having a local LA spec out plants that nurseries just don't stock because they're not profitable but try planting to specs from an LA outside your climate zone that forgets to make the zone switch. :D

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

They've been doing that at MSU for over 25 years now. When they build a new building, the only sidewalks are at the main entrances. Everything else is seeded. The paths where the students wear down the grass is where the sidewalks are placed. Landscape is added accordingly.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually I thought that the reason that the landscape was added later was due to lack of funding. Just kidding, but it probably took them 25 years of fighting losing battles at first. In all honesty, I’m surprised when a school, school district, or whoever has enough wisdom to slow down, sit back, and observe these things before rushing out and implementing pretty plans drawn up by some guy wearing a three piece suit sitting at a desk in the next county over.