rotory spray nozzles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RedWingsDet, May 25, 2008.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

what do you guys think of these?

I havent used them yet, but I have a decent size install in a few weeks and am thinking about using them. I was also planning on installing i-20's stainless, and a fertilizing system, and possibly a drip zone or two. (guy wants best of best, does not care about price)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Best of the best will be Toro 300 stream rotors. Use them in a head-to-head layout, and await the praise. It's what the MP Rotator is imitating.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

only problem is..... I wont/dont use toro products for irrigation.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Smart man!!!

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

my thoughts as well..

Try the MP 4000 with the rainbird 1812 bodies...

pricey but I think you will like them.

Whats up with the hate on toro..you are missing out on some great products..
    300 and the 570 are my favs...

6. Wet_Boots

Someone put a gun to your head? Just curious here, since all I care about is quality and reliability. Brand names are a distant third.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And all I find with Toro is junk - bad wiper seals, rotors that are difficult to adjust or stop rotating, valves that are junk (Flow Pro primarily), or valves that are time consuming to service (10 screws and a solenoid plunger that falls out, along with the very small fine spring), controllers that are junk and difficult to operate for the average homeowner, nozzles that seem to clog more than others except the RB VANs.

What else you want? or is that enough?

8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I worded that wrong. I am always open to suggestions, but Ive had alot of problems with toro valves, and it seemed as if their sprays like to leak (not line clear or seep) but that is just my observation so far.

I am always open to suggestions, so please educate.

9. Wet_Boots

I can similarly slam any brand name with their history, Thompson brass/iron gear-drive rotors being a possible exception, and they went bye-bye last century. The finest rotor head, period, hit a brick wall when their entire production went defective, not to be discovered until the product was installed, and the water turned on. (which is why you always saw two of the Hunter PGP heads in little plastic bags, out of a case of twenty. Those got water-tested before they were shipped)

I agree that ten cover screws are a pain, but the Toro 250 valves were/are reliable enough performers. Go ahead and hate the brand name, but I could cherry-pick the Toro line, and install a more reliable sprinkler system than anything all-Hunter or all-Rainbird.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I also have many 250 that need new solenoids - plunger sticks up. Or cracked retainer rings. You name it, I've probably replaced it. At least anything made in the last 15-20 years and used in our area. And yes, I can also knock Rainbird and Hunter with the best of 'em. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I do find a better track record (except those damn T-Birds, but RB stepped up to the plate on that one)