Rototill or Sod Cutter?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking to install new beds but there is a lush green lawn that needs to come up. What do you guys recommend? Will just simply rototilling it all up get rid of the grass or will it be a grading nightmare? Should I sod cut it first then rototill compost and such in?

Thanks!

2. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

If I were doing this project I would remove the turf first (you can decide if you want to do it with a sod cutter or just the ol' way) then till the soil to a level you are happy with. If you just till the turf you will end up with a lot of crap to rake out in the end.

3. Slcareco

thanks for the response! Im thinking maybe a few rototills will do the trick while adding compost in it and just grade the remaining debris out, its getting mulched anyway

4. kregan

kregan LawnSite Member

When I did my front yard I removed the the sod, then tilled in top soil.

landscape 010 (Medium).jpg

landscape 002 (Medium).jpg

landscape 008 (Medium).jpg

landscape 027 (Medium).jpg

landscape 030 (Medium).jpg

5. Slcareco

looks good! I was thinking about mowing it low then scalping it with a weed whacker then rototilling it

6. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

A sod cutter is like $50 to rent... and will save you alot of hassle.

7. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

No question, I always use a sod cutter first. I'd rather get the job done clean the first time. Rototilling will leave you with tons of clumps to rake out. Before I started using a sod cutter I'd spend way too much time trying to clean up all of the debris from tilling.

Sod cut once and be done with it.

8. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Another vote for sodcutter

9. Slcareco

What about just scalping it with a weed whacker after cutting it down low and just raking the clippings up and rototill the rest in?

10. bjlc

bjlc LawnSite Member

sod cutter is the way to go...tried the roto but it just made a mess.