1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rototiller: what would cause lock-up? (not mtr)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Have a Cub Cadet RT-60 that I bought used. It is locked up in forward. Wheels don't move-nor do tines? Does this sound like a chain in case? Never delt much with tillers. Geno

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Geno,

Here is the chain case assembly, About the only way to find the problem is tear into it. Just a suggestion should you attempt this, Take a BUNCH of pics from all angles before you scatter it all over the place.....

[​IMG]

Good Luck

3. mowisme

whoa!..pic's are definately a must- thanks RR. Geno

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Restro..
    That looks like an MTD chain case.
    If it is, Shouldn't he just buy a new one (at +/- $300.00) to save aggravation.
    Even for guys in the repair business, these things are a BE_ATCH!

And they are in no way professional grade, by the way.

5. Restrorob

Well, That is a MTD gear case and in the real world it would be much easier to just purchase a new gear case assembly and be done with it.

The only problem with doing that is this unit is a 1998 and the complete gear case assembly is listed as "No longer available".....

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...

Seems like a lot of their parts are going "NLA"...

OK. Probably a busted chain, Mowisme.
    If you are going to do this, get both chains, all the seals and new bearings. Replace gears if worn.

EDIT - And the gasket. Can't forget the gasket. Gotta watch Wopner.

7. mowisme

ok..thanks on info- Here is my delima..I got this tiller for $40. Should I just yank the OHV 6hp tecumseh (seems good- has 45 degree cylinder w/OHV) and the 13 inch tractor style wheels and 'junk' the rest before I get over my head in caost and headaches? don't want to tear down every year and not really fond of MTD, at least in most stuff. Right now if I do as said..I'd still be ahead. I can also get a old 'Frazer' built like a tank..but very old. (I can't afford new folks). Thanks -Gene P.S. This Cub Cadet looks neat..but looks don't get the job done..can see the thinness of the chain case,ect..

8. Restrorob

As jkason said these buggers can be a b!tch to work on even for someone that has done it before. But, That's where you have to make the call whether to junk it or not.

9. mowisme

It's history..scrapped it today. Got out from under it before it cost me lots of $..and many headaches. Got a good horizontal OHV Tec off it for the $40 I paid for tiller. Guess could have been worse. Thanks on help- Geno P.S.- getting 2 more next week..maybe I'll get one going yet! or find right motor for one I have sitting off to side here. All this gas cost rounding them up- and taking to junk yard..I could be putting towards a Troy-built Pony! Geno

10. Restrorob

Now that's a tiller, At least it's got a cast iron gearbox without chains.....