Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wmcrum6, Apr 17, 2007.

1. wmcrum6

wmcrum6 LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Please share your knowledge and experience with a Honda FRC 800 Rear Tine Tiller. The dealer makes it sound great, but they do not seem to be as beefy as the Troy Bilt Tiller Horse that I have used for the past 18 years. Anyone used them for cutting new gardens in heavy soil? Any experience with the Baretto?
    Looking for recommendations for a walk behind commercial unit.
  2. Nickcon404

Nickcon404 LawnSite Member

I don't know about the Honda but being a Troy owner for 20 years, there is nothing like it! I had the mis-fortune of having to rent the GREAT BARETTO ROTOTILLER....Biggest POS I have ever used! Hard to handle , bulky, too much high tech garbage.....Give me a Troy any day of the week! I am in the process of re-powering my 20 year old horse and hoping to get another 20 years out of it!
  3. Lovbcstiller

Lovbcstiller LawnSite Member

Go buy a BCS rototiller. You can get lots of attachments for it. I got model #850. It has a differantal in it where you can turn it on a dime. goto to look at what they have.
  4. TriPLandscaping

TriPLandscaping LawnSite Member

I had rented one before I bought mine. It did a horrible job tilling. Because it is a foward tine spin as soon as it got into the ground it launched forward, or when it caught somehthing. I would look into a counter rotating tiller. Breaks the ground up much better.
  5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

BCS is what then rental shops use around here, I have a Troybuilt Horse and if I need to replace it, the BCS will be the one I get.

The rental shop replaces theirs after five years and they still get $800.00 for them.

From what I have read about them, they appear to be the best machine for what I would need.
  6. wmcrum6

wmcrum6 LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the response. I purchased a BCS 852 on ebay this past week and it is fantastic. It is far superior to my old troybilt horse. With a 13 hp Honda you can hardly tell that is running. I plan on purchasing a bottom plow to help cut new gardens.