1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by instyle, Feb 18, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

What kind of walk behind rototillers are you guys running?

I know mid tine is better then front tine, but is it also better then rear tine.

Also I have been told honda mid tine is the best, then I was told merry tiller made the best mid tine.

What do you guys say?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

whats a mid tine tiller, ive only heard of a front and rear tine? anyway, i have a mantis tiller for when i need it for garden prep and such, i would use it as an edger too cept the dam tines are rusted really bad onto the shafts.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Mantis and a Honda that are both small front tine tillers and a Troybilt Super Bronco rear tine that we use to till up our garden and larger areas. The Mantis and Honda are great for flower beds and tilling tight area.
  4. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with the other guys. What is a mid-tine tiller?

Regarding rear-tine, my Snapper did not do as good of a job as the Troy-Bilt pony. The Troy-Bilt pulverized the soil very well.

Front tine is torture!!!!!!!
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

BCS for the big stuff and a teeny tiny Shindaiwa.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

A mid tine tiller has a single wheel sticking out the front with the tines mounted under the engine. There is two disc sticking out the rear behind the tines that help to keep it standing upright. Honda had a mid tine tiller in their line-up years ago but I havn't seen one in years.
  7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

for small light weight an quick -mantis by little wonder, medium mid size, awesome work horse - honda mid tines, large tiller for hevy duty work either , troy bilt,bcs,or honda!! have a good one see george
  8. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

The mid tine uses the entire weight of the machine. The tines are located directlt under the engine. They are IMO 10x betterthen a front tine. But I have never used a rear tine. Up here rototilling is a big season. I have to buy two of them, just not sure which ones.
  9. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I like useing a front tine tiller when working next to a house or wall etc.
    because you can get a little closer. And then I like useing a rear tine tiller
    for the wide open areas because you have more to maneuver it around.
  10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a rear tine huquavarna and i like it alot better than front tine you just have better leverage pushing it into the ground and picking it us and it pulls itself along so less to wrestle with