Rototilling

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rustyb265, May 31, 2006.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what I should charge for rototilling? I have never done it before. I have an old rototiller that works great but I have no idea how to price it. I have a customer that wants me to rototill a 12X20 garden. Any suggestions? THanks

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

$40 - $45 for that is what i'd charge as long as you mean Ft. not yards :laugh:

If it's out of my way I might go $5 or so more on it, to make it worth my while.

Min. i charge is $25... Have had a few where someone had a flower bed and now they want to seed it.

All Clear

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea to have the utilities marked (I won't till in town unless they are), and charge more if the ground has not been broken before. Btw, my last till job was the day before Good Friday. Glad you can still get some work tilling there.

Also, had someone try to get me to till what i think was someone else's ground. I don't think they had permission to grow on the land because when I said they would have to call 'One call before you dig,' they said forget it.

4. NiceSpot

NiceSpot LawnSite Member

I charge 15 cents per square foot. Works for me..
    NiceSpot:drinkup: :drinkup:

5. rustyb265

Thanks guys. I think I will go with either $50 or $75. I know that may sound a little high, but everything is high priced in my area. Also, this is not a normal mowing account so I would not be at his house anyway. WAnt to make it worth my while to load up the machine and drive there. Thanks again.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My tiller, though small does not mover for less then $35.00 and that is for small small gardens or flowerbeds and such.

7. rustyb265

I agree J&R. It is a process to load it up, drive to the job, unload and do the job, reload, and take it home and put it aways. Need to be worth your while.
    Thanks for the input.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We charge $45 for the first hour $35 each hour there after.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with at least $45.00 an hr:)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It may seem a bit high but tilling is slow, tedious, hard labor. I have one of those big red rear-tine things, forget what the brand but it's one of the largest walk-behinds... And still, the tines only cover 18 or maybe 24 inches of ground at a time, it is slower than pushmowing, that's for sure.

Also, you have to call Miss Utility to mark the power lines, do not rely on the customer to do this (actually, don't ask them to), so 50-75 is what I would charge as well.

That's for a job well done, you go over it a couple of times and really dig it up nice, go over it a third time if you have to, the idea being you want to till the second and / or third time so as to break up the clumps of dirt as well, then it's a really nice job and worth every penny of it.