Rototilling...?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by littleredwagon, Jul 17, 2007.

1. littleredwagon

littleredwagon LawnSite Member

Anyone know how well those new Ryobi Attachments work, as far as the Rototiller anyways... I know it goes down 6" - 9", but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had a lot of experience with the attachment type tiller? Approximately how long do ya'll think it would take to till up a front yard (for sod install) that's approx 2500 sqft?

Thanks guys...:canadaflag:

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are talking about the attachment for a trimmer.....don't buy it they are worthless. Even the mantis would have problem tilling up an entire front yard, just not enough muscle.

3. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

If you do not have a tiller....rent one. It looks like you are from CA and I do not know what store you have to rent from. Here in the states you can rent a decent rear tine tiller for about $70 a day. This will not beat the bajesus out of you and leave some time to start laying your sod. Time is money IMO and a mantus is like mowing an acre with a push rotery mower. (12" with blades that spin) I am not trying to poke fun..just help. I did the same thing to a 100X150 lot...my own home this spring.

Peace

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Rent a rototiller or a skidsteer with the correct attachment(landscape rake?) and charge the customer for it.

I've used a Mantis before, and they're fine for gardens and small work but you'll be crying if you do 2500 square feet with it.

5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

a Rear tine works great, and is easy to opperate.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Ryobi anything are just plain junk!!! Save some money and buy a good commercial rear tine tiller like BCS or any of the other commercial rear tine tillers on the market. Their expensive but very worth it in the long run.

7. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

I am with ya....a skid steer would be a great idea. Around here they rent for 175 a day (approx) You can be in and out in the same day if you have some help that will bust a hump.

Skid Steer 1/2 day at most
    Tiller 3/4 to full day tops
    Sod....well it depends on the size rolls and how well you are at laying/staggering the sod. A good knife and knee pads...someone to feed you rolls...and you are golden.

Just make sure you are getting a fair shake when it comes down to your bottom line after all expenses. Otherwise.........sub it out and take a cut.

Just my thoughts.....

Mike

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You are referring to a cultivator. Not the same thing as a tiller. A cultivator is made to get into tight garden areas and turn the already somewhat loose soil. A tiller is made for, well, tilling.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The main question is why till up a yard to lay sod...simply cut it down real low and lay sod on top.....make sure the edges are cut down so it is flush with conceret drives....actually tilling hurts because you get air pocket and you need to get it down solid with soil. We used to till but stopped many years ago and the results are actually better.