Rototilling

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Just Cut, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

i was wondering what to charge a customer for appx 600 ft of rototilling. the soil is clay and is damp, I would be using a rear tine tiller, Thanks in advance

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

600sf ?

If you are tilling MI blue clay you want to wait untill it's dry, or you will just make a mess.

Jim L

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

600 Sf? Hmmm. I did some of this with a tractor, but since I don't measure out all my SF's, I just did it. Mine was about 60 ft long and 10 feet wide. I wanted $125 for the job, the guy didn't pay and I got $50.:rolleyes:

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

What size tiller are you using. If you let me know I can give you a good idea on hours/price.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

This is one of those jobs that I would charge hourly for... only you know what you need hourly to make your business profitable.

I have over the years found, that some tilling jobs can take much longer than expected ( to do a good job ).... you may be able to give him a ball park figure but tell them that they can't hold you to it.

Tell the customer you charge from the time you leave the shop to the time you get back.

6. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I charge $1.50/sf to till into turf and $.75/sf for existing beds.
    This is with a rear tine tiller into clay soil.

$1.50 sounds expensive but it is a royal pain in the rear to cut into turf with a clay base and I'd rather not do it.

Roger

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

RMD
    So let me get this straight. You'd charge someone $900 to till up 600sf of turf? WOW. I've planted 10,000 sf lawns for that price. Just thought I'd ask for a clarification.

8. You said the sq. footage, but is it more or less level? On a slope??

Here in my area, that would take me anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 2 using a rear tine BCS tiller. I would charge somewhere between $175 to $250 going to a depth of 4" to 6". Most of the soils around here are red clay to sand. Mix soil admendments and get even higher charge. It may seem high, but keep in mind that the cost of living is almost touching the sky here. To rent a similar machine as mine would run at least $90 for first 2 hrs or $120 a day with a min. of 2 hour rental.
    John

9. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

SCL
    I have not had to quote anything that large, mostly 100-200 sf jobs so I would probably give a price break over 300 sf if I was even interested at that point.

Roger