1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Apr 11, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What would you guys charge per sqaure foot for a rototilling job on an exisisting garden? I say about .75 per sf. Sound about right?
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I still do a few tilling jobs every year but for existing customers only. I charge the same as I would for mowing. Wear and tear on equipment and my time are still worth the same. What I am say is that it is not any cheaper to a customer for me to be doing this as opposed to mowing. My time is worth the same amount to me. I have just figured out what I need to make per hour to turn a profit. Just curious what type of tiller are you using?

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My mother wants it done every year so I usually rent one and do a few customers that request it the same day, I charge my hourly rate plus $10 to cover the rental.
  4. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I charge the same as mowing. I try to get a dollar/minute. The average garden is 20' by 20' and I charge $20, and I can do it in about 20 minutes. Use a rear tine as a front tine is not as good and you will now about it at the end of the day. The harder the job, the more I charge, ex. rocky or clay soil. If it is a first time spot, I charge almost double because it takes alot longer.

Remember, people will pay to have you sweat your butt off. My local rental place gets $80 a day to rent one, and then they have to do the work.

I started out rototilling to just pay for the one I bought, I made $1000 my first year. Good luck.