Rotten deck on a 10ft Big Tex

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ryanuni, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ryanuni

ryanuni LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    I have a Big Tex 29SA with a deck thats getting soft with rot. I would like to replace it with pressure treated lumber. Getting the boards out are easy enough (by cutting them) but how do I get them seated into both the front and back slots in the frame? Do I have to cut the welds on the top of the front flange then weld it back on when the deck is replaced, or is there something easy that I am missing... thanks ​

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

what i've seen a few guys do to avoid cutting and welding, is to take a jack or prybar and lift the center of the wood so that it curves and will go into the slot. it is easier on larger trailer, due to increased length.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah like what Mike is kinda saying. The first few boards are easiest as you can angle them to fit them into the channels. The difficult part is the last 2-3 boards or so. After you get as many boards in as you can, move those ones over so you are putting the last couple of boards in center of the trailer. You can use a jack, pry bar, stand on them, do what you have to to bend the lumber to snap into place. WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!!!!!!!

P.S. How many years did you get out of the floor boards? I bought a 20' Big Tex trailer about a year and a half ago and was just wondering as finding 20' anything might be a challenge.

4. ryanuni

ryanuni LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, I think I will try the torque method first but will probably end up having to cut and weld as the trailer is so short and the slots on the frame are a couple inches deep on both sides, thats a lot of extra slack to find with bending.

The boards only lasted about four years since they were untreated pine and the trailer was forced to sit outside most of the time. We are planning to strip it down and re do the whole thing since now we have a place to store it inside. The deck is the main problem we have found with the big tex trailers, made in Texas where untreated pine may be fine, but in northern climates with moisture and salt it doesn't last.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well for untreated pine, that's not too bad. Odd thing is I know when I custom ordered my trailer, they already advertised for treated wood floors so I didnt have to get it as an option.

Bending the boards isnt as hard as you think. If you get the wood wet it bends a lot easier without breaking. Plus if you're buying fresh treated lumber it is usually wet enough from the treating that it works. It's only the last couple of boards you actually have to bend if you follow the method I described earlier. A hydraulic floor jack works the best, but you will probably have to use another block of wood to reach up to the floor of the trailer from the ground. In all reality its only those last few boards so if you cut those to just barely be long enough to NOT fit into the channel as the torx deck bolts will hold it in place anyway. So if you cut down the boards to only have 1/2'' under each channel you would hardly have to bend the board to snap it in place. In fact you could probably slide the board as far forward in one channel that you could drop the other end in, slide it back slightly so it's under both channels and bolt it down.