1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rotting roots beneath lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fga, Oct 6, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

on a small section of a house, the area is about 8x12 of grass. it always looks excellent.
    last year and this year we've had a ton of rain, and i noticed there were sink holes developing. when you walk across it, in spots, you'll go down litterally 4-5 inches. it really made the lawn look terrible this year, weeds developed in the soil areas where the holes are, etc.
    customer told me some years back there was a huge tree in front, and the roots are now rotting away.

how would you fix this? if i just add soil, even compacted the soil afterwards, wouldn't it do the same thing eventually? do you have to rip the lawn up and dig these roots out?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I take a 6' crowbar and poke it in the ground in several places to see how open and deep the sink hole is, underneath. I then use the crowbar to knock down as much of the top material as possiable and fill with top soil and reseed. The sink hole will continue to appear in years to come as long as there is material in the area to rot. Years ago it was common pratice for builders to dig a big hole near the house foundation and throw all the building waste into it and doze it over when doing the landscaping.
  3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea we have a few yards like you are explaining FGA. What we have been doing is alot like he said just knock the existing soil down as much as you can and fill it with more dirt/soil.When it sinks some more do it again. Hope this helps.And again thank s for the help with the aerating/dethatching question.
  4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah if it is on a good customers lawn that we have been servicing for awhile or expect to service for years to come. We do it for free sometimes we do it then tell them afterwards. It is those little extras that make lifelong customers.Dirt doesn't cost much if anything, and we are already going there every week so whenever we get some extra dirt and we do alot we hook that truck up to the trailer that runs that route. We cut the lawn, close up trailer get out the wheelbarrow from truck bed and shovels fill the whole stomp it down,smooth it out. five minutes trouble= equals very happy customer who tells their friends.