Rough Bluegrass now

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 17, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It's just starting to go dormant in sunny areas here. Reddish-brown areas that look like heck. Anybody else seeing this?

What do you recommend to homeowners for getting rid of it? I know "Certainty" is labeled for it, but it does not work (IMO). Roundup works, but once Poa trivialis goes dormant....?....?....? But with its shallow roots, can it be pulled out?? Best time here to seed Kentucky bluegrass is mid to late August, but homeowners often expect some kind of miracle right away.

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

2. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Sounds like you are already well aware of the pain in the arse life cycle of Poa triv. I have a fairway that was heavily contaminated with this during a renovation in the 70's. At the time, I am sure the course saved a few bucks by purchasing uncertfied seed. Low and behold 30+ years later it is still there.

We have tried numerous tricks to remove it but every fall when the temps cool and the rains return it pops out of dormancy.

For the last 5 or so years we have taken a different approach. Like its cousin Poa annua we have nurtured it, kept it from going dormant and provided and very respectable playing surface.

Of course, the growing environment has to be decent or one will deal with a wide array of other issues.

Basically, this fairway sees no over night irrigation. We employ a 10AM and 2PM syringe to the fairway of 4 minutes. This is the length of time it takes for one of my sprinklers to make a full rotation. If the temps are going to be exteremely hot (90+) we will add a third syringe at some point during the afternoon.

Basically, rather then kill it we manage it.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I HAVE had good results with Certainty...Of course that window of opportunity is passing/has passed:cry: