Rough Cut Update

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted a while back about my gravely 144z having a rough cut. It is leaving about a two inch strip uncut, just inside the right front tire.

after checking air pressure, blade height, spacers, sharp blades, and clean deck....

I noticed when looking underneath the mower that the center spindle sometimes will vibrate really bad, but then others be smooth like butter. (there were no blades on the mower). think this could have anything to do with it?

I really dont want to make the call to the dealer to take it in, because i know i wouldnt have it back for a while, and this is my only mower...and i service weekly

Trevor

2. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

The spindle bearing is bad.

Later,
    Doug

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Thats the conclusion we came up with..Know how long it takes to fix? or is it simply a take in to the dealer type job?

trevor?

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those are sealed, so you just replace the whole spindle assembly. It takes about 30 min. to change one out. Ok, maybe 45 min. the first time. It will be under warranty if it is less than 2 years old.

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

take it in and get a mower to use while it is in the shop imo

6. Trevors Lawn Care

man...i wish it would be that easy...but somehow..for some reason... i have a feeling this guy wont do that for me...

I bought this equipment based on price...This was before i was graced with the knowledge of lawnsite, and had NO idea how important dealer service is...I am going to make an appointment and take it in on like a saturday...so HOPEFULLY, i get it back by midweek...:confused:

we'll see...

thanks for the info.

trevor

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

trevor,
    my dealer will either give me another one to run and usually its bigger or better or the same. He will have it fixed with in like 1 hr or 2. Then call my cell to find were i am to deliver it to the place i am at the time.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

hahahahhahaa.............:D :) :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :confused: :mad: :realmad:

I called my dealer today to make an appt. to drop of my mower on a saturday or even friday when i finish cutting....and he said...We dont make appointments...I said oh so i just drop it off and you get to it when you can..."Exactly...we are about 10 days behind on our mowers..so i hope you dont need it for a while"...me:****...

Me: "WEll do you have loaner mowers to keep me working while my equipment is down"

Dickhead..I mean Service guy:"umm...NO we dont do that either."

Me: "What do you do then"

Him: Drop it off and we will fix it.

GOSH..I am so f-ing pissed with their support.. I am tempted to sell my 144z and buy a scag..they have awesome support, and they are really close (1 mile)

Trevor

9. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

Trevor this is something you can easily do yourself, and you'll need to know how if this is going to be your career. In my MTD manual the procedure for changing a spindle is listed. I'm not mechanically inclined but even I could manage it, so I say go for it. Good luck!

10. Trevors Lawn Care

ya but what about ordering it under warranty. Can an order be made by me and say..."um ya its still under warranty" i could be getting a couple spindles for my buddy who has got a 144z

can i order?
    trevor