1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rough cut.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my gravely at the begining of this year. It cut GREAT for the first couple weeks. After coming on this site I read about deck pitch..So, i adjusted the deck pitch for better striping and it was leaving an unlevel cut, so i adjusted the deck back to flat. Since then i have not been able to get a good clean cut.

Even when i cut at 3" it doesnt give a clean cut. Would high lift blades solve this problem? I checked my tire pressure about a week ago and reset all of them.

Does anyone else have any other tips to get a clean cut again...OH YA..blades are sharp ALWAYS

GO DETROIT PISTONS!!!!!!!!! Lakers SUCK! Bad boys are back!

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

It seems like my Metro is gradually producing a worse cut despite my complete maintenance and everything. It is incredibly frusterating for me!! I also had an incredible cut at the season's start!
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

FEAR THE FRO! GO PISTONS...>WORLD CHAMPIONS 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you are using the same blades as before? Deck pitch (front a little lower than back) and using a high lift blade, and engine rpm is all I can suggest.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

With a tach.. maybe?

Trevor... when you change the pitch of the deck and put it back to level.. did you take into account the operator's weight? When you sit on the mower there will be a little sag... so now the rear of the deck may actually be a little lower. Try pitching the deck forward just an 1/8" and see if it's any better. Belts usually stretch a little.. so check the tension.

Good luck..
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This might sound lame...but is it the grass? I'm having the same problem.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

when i pitched the deck forward i only pitched it about 1/8th" and that is when the rough cut began to become noticable. Then even after i have pitched it back to normal the bad cut continued.

GO PISTONS!!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's most likely the grass. Very high in moisture this year.

Grass plays funny things with our heads.

Are you using NEW, and SHARP blades? Not just sharp ones, but NEW OEM, SHARP blades.

Every bit of tip rounding you get on a blade diminishes its cut. The more you sharpen it, the worse of a cut you'll get.

Also, as you wear the paint off the inside of the deck, the more the grass sticks to the deck. Brand new high gloss deck surfaces just repel wet grass. More buildup = worse cut.

As Lawn-Scapes mentioned, check all idler pulley tensions. Belts DO stretch initially.
  10. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

This was my first week to not have to double cut most of my yards, Sharp blades all year long, good maintenance etc......I guess its the Grass, everyone is complaining.