Rough day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, May 17, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

As mentioned in the "May 13" thread, we had a couple of problems. Got the spindle for the truck, but we had to get the trailer repaired yesterday after a guy drove into the back of it. I would never have chosen Thursday to do it, but I had put the guy off who was doing the repair for a few days already. Thinking it would be done, I went by to see the progress and he had just started on it. I knew exactly how far behind we would be, so I borrowed a 5X8 trailer, loaded up the 36 Exmark and went to work. Man, talk about culture shock...using ZTR riders for 9 years then stepping back to this :eek:

Naturally the atmosphere was a little strained anyway. With the 90+ degree heat and Florida's soupy humidity, now toss in a 36" walk behind as your only mower, and it's a recipe for problems. And I know for a fact, people treat you differently when they see a smaller operation like that.

First job of the day goes fairly smooth. Second job goes equally as well. Third job, right next to job two goes bad. The neighbor on the other side has always had an attitude toward us and specifically toward the former owner of that property. The new owners, only there for three weeks are not familiar with "Prince Philip" as the neighborhood refers to him as. Prince Philip stops me while I am cutting the narrow side of the lawn. There is lava rock between the two properties and had complained about it before. The previous owner had it put there to border his pvc fence. The fence was taken down when he moved, but the rock remains. Not a real problem, it is entirely on our customers property. But Prince Philip tells me he needs to see my boss about moving "this ****". I replied "the people who live here?" He says "no, the person that owns the company." He is very familiar with us, so he was just taking a cheap shot. I said "what seems to be the problem? It's on our customer's property, and they said to leave it for now." With fire in his eyes, he said "you are ruining my mower, I had to replace my blades because of the SH**." I asked why he was mowing my rocks and he claimed it was on his property. I am quite sure he knows they are not. The former owner and he had a big stink over it. I said, " I'll tell you what, Mr. XXXX (the current owner) is probably not home right now, but you talk to him, and if he agrees to take it out, you can pay me and I'll do it." I knew very well this would send him over the edge and it did :D He started dropping "F" bombs right and left and finally I looked at him and said I have to go back to work, you need to go back in the house, I'm tired of looking at you. Maybe not a great move on my part, but I couldn't take it anymore. He and my partner continued the "Showdown in the St. Augustine" for another ten minutes or so. Professional? No. But there is only so much you can take on a day like this.

Very next job, we hit two-for-two. How we ended up there next is beyond me, but we did. While running my first pass on the right perimeter, the neighbor, we'll call him "the Admiral", stops me and asks that I not run over his sprinklers. This is not the first time this has happened, he did the same thing about 8 months ago. He has concrete donuts around his spinklers and flags on my customers side, but mysteriously we avoid all of that and run them over. Not to mention, you can clearly see the distinct line where the two are mowed on different levels. This one is a no-brainer. Any five-year-old could tell you this could not occur. Not to mention, he is suggesting the tires of the 60" mower is what is hitting them, not the blades breaking them. Now with a 60" ZTR, you would have to be cutting a fairly good swath into his yard to run them over with the tires. I am not sure what he has going on there, but it isn't our mower tires doing it. To be honest, I don't think anything is happening to them, because you can see no signs of them being repaired, strightened or altered in any way. I am pretty sure he just wants to pick a fight. He starts yelling at my partner and bows up and gets right in his face :eek: This guy is really starting to aggrevate me now. So I do it right back to him. Again, not professional...but you can only take so much :angry: The Admiral wisely goes back in the house before doing anything stupid.

Amazing, in one day we have ended up with more problems with neighbors than we have in the past 10 years or more :rolleyes: Was it the heat, humidity, and the people busting their butts with a small mower that made these guys decide it was a good day to mess with the "lawn guys?" Or was it just a coincidence?

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I think it must have something to do the eclipse last night because I had two of my customers neighbors giving my S*** today. One was about me supposedly blow chunks of grass under the fence and in their precious white rock beds. That is impossible because I don't mulch or discharge, I bag everything!The other was mad because things are dry and when that happens the mower creates dust and he was worried that my mower was going to get his nice freshly washed vehicle dirty! He tried to tell me I can't mow after he has his vehicle washed ! I told him to move it out on the street then. He said "no then someone will hit it", like it won't get hit by a car door in a parking lot . Yeah I think there is something up because people are on prowl ! Has anyone checked to see if there is a Full Moon ?

3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I think it must have something to do the eclipse last night because I had two of my customers neighbors giving my S*** today. One was about me supposedly blow chunks of grass under the fence and in their precious white rock beds. That is impossible because I don't mulch or discharge, I bag everything!The other was mad because things are dry and when that happens the mower creates dust and he was worried that my mower was going to get his nice freshly washed vehicle dirty! He tried to tell me I can't mow after he has his vehicle washed ! I told him to move it out on the street then. He said "no then someone will hit it", like it won't get hit by a car door in a parking lot . Yeah I think there is something up because people are on prowl ! Has anyone checked to see if there is a Full Moon ?

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, it must have been the eclipse......

I was mowing a clients lawn today and heard a horn blowing while I was running the string trimmer. I looked up an there was a lady in and her son in a small pickup truck motioning for me to come over to them. I stopped the trimmer and approached their truck.

"YOU ARE BLOCKING THE STREET WITH YOUR TRAILER!!!" she screamed...while pointing furiously at my trailer. "Yeah, why are you blocking up the road" her fat azzed son sneered........

Yes, I was parked on the side of the street...and yes, there was another compact car parked on the other side of the street about 2 car-lengths ahead of me. This compact car is parked there every time I service that account....I'm begining to think it's a clunker.

But NO WAY was I blocking the street.

I chuckled and asked her if she would like me to drive her truck around my trailer......"IMPOSSIBLE!!! YOU ARE BLOCKING THE STREET!! NOW MOVE YOUR TRAILER!!!"

About that time a Ford F-350 DUALLY with HUGE towing mirrors approached from the other direction....and passed right between my rig and the car on the other side of the street....barely slowing down in the process.

You should have seen the look on her face....sitting there in that little Toyota pickup.

"As you were saying......." I asked?

Not to be proven wrong, she put the little truck in reverse....and headed back in the opposite direction...still yelling her head off.

To give you an idea of the space, the last time I was parked there a Fed-Ex delivery truck, and a public works dumptruck both drove right through that same space.

Remind me NOT to go into that neighborhood during a full moon! :laugh:

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

people are going nuts lately. yesterday while sitting at a light I was pre-occupied talking on the cell phone. you know...business stuff! and this little hottie behind me is honking and giving me hand signals because I got my blinker on but I am not turning right on red eventhough it's clear.:dizzy: so I acknowledged her and made the turn. when she went by me after we both made the turn and, man, she really let me have it!:angry: I had to laugh and thought "the nerve of some people! why couldn't she understand that I was too busy talking on the phone to drive!" GEEESSSSEE!:blush: :blush: :blush:

GEO

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ha :D Speaking of eclipse, here's a pic I took last night

lunar10.jpg

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

now that's darn cool!

I assume that was with 35mm?

have you ever tried to catch the meteor showers?

GEO

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Eclipse, when? All I've been able to see in the sky is Grey clouds...
    Does the sun & moon actually still exist anymore?

the other day I did have someone stop me at light & ask me if I had any gas because they were out... Told them nope all out, on my way to the gas station.... Well somehow they managed for follow me in their BMW past 3 gas stations at least a few miles down the road before they turned on the on ramp for the highway. Outta gas? I think not...

Had two people call & ask if I knew anyone that did lawn mower repairs. 1st guy I referred him to a friend. Second call I said nope but if you want I'll come by & mow your lawn for a fee. he hung up.
    Lady who I put estimate in their door called & asked what happened & why I never gave it to them... Apparently another landscaper took my estimate & their apps's bill outta the door (got the contract).

Stopped at shoulder of road ready to pull forward & back in my drive, car coming other direction stops, lays on the horn, rolls down the window & yell at me to get out of his way. He was on the other side of the road. Obviously someone who had way to much after the 18th hole across the road.

:dizzy: :dizzy:

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I think we all had days like these. Gotta love when the neighbors don't like each other and they try to get you involved. :)

10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

if it was me the admiral would have got the foot from me the lowly master sergeant