rough ground choices (long)

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Trouthead, May 26, 2006.

1. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

A couple of days ago a buddy and I were headed to the JD dealer and across the street is a mower shop that deals (I thought) Snapper, and a few other brands. Out in front of the mower shop is sitting this huge ZTR in yellow, and a few other ZTR I had never seen. After a futile discussion with the JD man (new owners took over that day) concerning pricing on a 737 or a 777, we headed over to the mower shop. The huge ZTR was a Hustler diesel and there was also a Fastrack and a Mini Fastrack.

After a long discussion and a short test drive of the mini, we left with literature and a buring desire to consider a couple of Hustlers.

Now the question is this: I am leaning towards either the Super Mini Z 52 inch or the Hustler Z or the Hustler Z XR7. I cut three acres of ex cow pasture land, and I know this is over kill, but after 25 years of cutting it with various lawntractors and taking hours and hours of my time (life), I just want to finish it a lot guicker and have time for other more enjoyable things.

Now the land I mow is ex cow pasture that is irrigated by sprinkler, (unlimited supply of free water). I only fertilized once in 25 years because it grew so fast I could not keep up. I am past the point of scalping any spots cause in 25 year you wear them all down but there are about 50 trees on the land with 6 or more feet between them.

What mower will get me done quicker with the least amount of trim work, or is it a tossup? Should I get the Honda motors or are the Kawas as good? Is the XR-7 deack worth it or is the regular deck going to do a decent enough job. The mini Super Z seems to be very popular but the short wheelbase worries me. Is it an advantage over rough ground or a disadvantage? I would like to fertilize and water more, and still only have to cut once every 7 days or so. I live in central Wyoming at 6000 ft, and it is bone dry and sunny from May through Sept.The grass is whatever grows in a Wyoming ex cow pasture and it is (with a lot of water) thick and green.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I read all 97 pages of posts on Hustler's and that is how I gave up ( maybe depending upon price) the JD 737 or 777 (massive overkill) idea. Lastly can I expect to knock about 20% off the list prices or I am just killing all the dealers profit. I do want him to make enough money to stay in buisness but price is of concern. Should I add a mulch kit on any of this possible machines?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would go with the Super Z with the 60" XR-7.
    Put a set of Flex Forks on it and with the suspension seat that comes with the Super Z you will be good to go on that rough ground.
    The larger deck and higher ground speed will make quick work of that mowing job.
    I would go with the Kohler on engine choice with a 60" deck, either the 27 or 28 EFI or possibly the 30.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with mowerconsultant above except I'd opt for the 28EFI Kohler. You'll save a ton of gas with it and in my mine it has more guts than the 30hp.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PJ has it right as usual, I've got the 28 efi and I have had two 27 Kohler's. The 28 efi feels like it has 30 hp compared to the 27's and the fuel economy is a lot better. I would like to know if PJ has compared the 28 efi against the 30 hp and if he or anyone else can give the differences. I love my 66" XR-7 deck and have just changed the fusion blades for the first time with 44 hrs. on the mower and they still cut fine but not as good as I like at 15 mph. You will never regret the flex forks especially if your ground is the least bit rough, it has made a tremendous difference in the way my back feels after being on the mower for any length of time.

5. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Should I add a mulch kit, to any of the possible choices? Is it possible to get the flex forks as a factory option instead of adding them after purchase.

And does anyone have an idea about pricing. What ends up being a reasonable deal. Is 20% off list a pretty decent starting point???

6. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Showed my mower shopping buddy the posts and the replies and his response was "Why didn't you ask about my size lawn"

So, he is mowing the same type of ground for a few years longer, so all the high spots are really knocked down after 25 years. He is presently cutting 1.25 acres, and has been looking at the Fastrack 44 with the Kohler 18. Is it enough mower, will the rough ground beat him up with out a suspension seat?

It would be a lot easier if he lived in the immiediate area, (we would buy one big mower and save a pile a piece) but he is 8 miles away.

So 1.25 acres ex pasture land, mowed for 25 years. Whats the hot tip?
    Thanks.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You certainly can add a mulch kit, but why mulch if you don't have to? sounds like you are in a situation where side discharge is going to be fine and quicker I might add.
    It is not possible to get the Flex Forks as a factory option they are a dealer or end user installed option.
    20% off MSRP is a good price, not a starting point.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would run with the FasTrak there, and add the seat springs and Flex Forks to smooth out the bumpy ride.

Pj

9. SIE

SIE LawnSite Member

20% off is a great price!

10. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Struck a deal with my local dealer for a XR7 60 inch Super Z with the 30 horse mower. Yep it is overkill, but at 5600 ft you loose some power, so at this point what is a 150 more dollars for more hp. Didn't get the 20% off I was hoping for, but did get 17.5% off set up and delivered (35 miles from the dealership) Hopefully it will arrive within a couple of weeks, and I will never have to sit on the 16 horse White again.