ROUGH LAWN'S !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 16, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

How in the HELL do you guys run 8mph and stay in the seat? I rented a Walker and could only run about half without my teeth knocking together and trying to stay in the saddle. What's the big deal to get a mower that mows at 10MPH when you can't hold on anyway. Just wondering.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Mowman, we have a torogroundsmaster that doesn't mow that fast, but in travel mode on our bumby fields it does the same, I find it more of a comfortable ride with the seatbelt on. I think these are offered on some walkers as an accesory or you could easily add one.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mowman: Before you buy that Walker, get a demo on other mowers and find out for yourself. The bigger the mower, the wider it is, and the heavier it is. You end up with a smoother ride and the seat makes a big difference too. My new XWD 2600 Chopper has 25&quot; by 12&quot; tires and the ride is great at 12 MPH on some of the roughest propertys we have. Demos are free and I've heard more than one guy say, you can't mow at those speeds, until you try it. Then they change their minds. Just ask Lynn, he was a Grasshopper user till he bought a DC Flatlander that mows at 13 MPH. A small mower with little tires is going to be rough riding at slow speeds. I've had small riders, I know.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

It's BS. rarely can you go 10mph. That is &quot;travel&quot; speed. Sometimes with wide open flat land, you can cruise, but few mowers that go that fast, and cut that fast. Some do however. 6-6.5 mph is more like it.

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

With my Lazer mowing at full speed is done on certain properties. Others no way.<br>Its just depends on the roughness and the length of the grass.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i can go full speed on my z master and have a great cut quality if the lawn id fairly smooth but on those really bubmp ones especially when the soil is dried out i cant mow full speed because the deck will start bouncing up and down since its only hangling with chaines.

7. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Get A FERRIS with Independent Suspension!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Full speed on non-fertilized lawns, a little slower on fertilized lawns.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

steve, when i was in the market for a ztr last fall i tried the ferris i/s. I only tries it on the dealers lawn so i cant really say if it is that much better on bumpy lawns but i can tell you the cut of the ferris was not as nice as the cut on the z master i went with. I only have a few lawns that are so bumpy that the decks flops if i go full speed.... easy solution.... dont go more than 6mph on those real bumpy lawns. all three are 1/4 acre anyway.

10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

you can also let some air out of the tires; it will soften the ride. Just watch it on hillsides like that, & don't let out too much.......<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>