Rough price for a paver driveway...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KenH, Feb 20, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A customer asked me for a rough price he could expect to pay for a concrete paver driveway. I dont do this sort of work, so I had no clue. Can anyone throw me some numbers???

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I never can believe that anyone here would put any validity on numbers other than hours spent on particular tasks.... I could say that I charge $1/sq foot to do a concrete paver job, and I clear half of that after expenses... Or I could say that I charge $5/sq ft and am barely scraping by...

Now, if you re-ask the question, in a manner such as "how long should it take to do a paver driveway of XXXX sq ft on a flat grade, no hills, good drainage?", then we may be able to give some legitimate help...

As far as prices go, it really depends on the type of paver and how fast you work, what the base prep is like, etc... What works for me (or anyone else for that matter) probably WON'T work for you.

Not busting your balls or anything, just trying to point out the semi-dumb questions that are asked here all the time (and answered too...).

Dan

3. KenH

from CT

Ok. How long should it take to do a paver driveway of 3000 square feet on a flat grade, no hills and good drainage? And, what would be the cost estimate for that job.

BTW, I am not looking for pricing help as I DO NOT DO PAVERS. A customer just asked the question in conversation, and I really had no idea how much a paver drive would cost.

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

i would charge about $5-6 SF just for labor. Then add in your base material,brick, sand, edging. But thats in our neck of the woods.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

To get an accurate cost estimate, someone local needs to be called...

It could be as low as $6-8/ sq. ft. installed, or as high as $14/ sq. foot installed, plus excavation fees. I've seen that $14/ sq. ft driveway, and it's over 80,000 square feet....... Tumbled pavers and all.

There's a big variation, as you can see. What it ultimately will depend on is what type of paver the client would like. And what's under the pavers.

Dan

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

figure that a small 1000k driveway you can excavate and have the base partly finished in a day ... bobcat and tandem truck..fairly close dump and supply yard....3 guys carry and lay stone approx 1000sq ft a day...another half day to finish up...total around 2.5 days

7. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

I would say if you do not do paver work but are looking to get into it......i would not start with a driveway. Driveways are whole other animal compared to a paver walk or patio. You have vehicular loads and presuures to consider.

Pass on it and start small with the pavers. There is alot to learn and i would not start trying to learn with a driveway. You could possibly open yourself to a whole rash of callbacks and in the process give yourself a bad reputation. Not trying to be negative.....just trying to look out for you.

8. KenH

from CT

I AM GOING TO REPEAT THIS ONE MORE TIME. I AM IN NO WAY INTERESTED IN GETTING INTO PAVER WORK. A GOOD CUSTOMER OF MINE WAS KICKING AROUND THE IDEA OF A PAVER DRIVEWAY AND ASKED ME 'ABOUT HOW MUCH WOULD THEY RUN.' I TOLD HIM I HAD NO IDEA AND CAME HERE TO GET SOME DRIVEWAY PRICE NUMBERS. AND YES, I AM YELLING.

:D :D :) :D :D

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sorry if my post didnt help you Ken ,,,I thought I'd give you an idea of MAN HOURS since talking price is pointless. now I'll give you a pointless answer .... our company could probably do it for 30k ... tumbled stone.

10. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

LOL...hear you LOUD and clear.