Rough Property - Can It Be Fixed?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TonyMeister, Jul 4, 2006.

1. TonyMeister

TonyMeister LawnSite Member

I have a Super Z 60 with Flex Forks and a suspension seat.

Even with these features, I am getting killed each week when I mow my property.

My home is in a new community consisting of 10-12 acre homesites all made up of former farm land. The terrain is really bumpy and rough and I have to go really slow in order to save by back.

Is there something I can do about this? Is there a way to "roll" the property to smooth out the ruts so that I can have a normal "yard?"

I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Tony

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You certainly can get a roller and smooth out the property, it may be hard depending on how bad it is.
    You can also get a grader in there and get it done, although that is not gonna be cheap....
    Do you have any recourse with the builder / developer?

Pj

3. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

You may want to find someone local with a tractor and get them to "drag" the property for you. Some use a special rake and I've even seen home-made contraptions also. I've dragged a piece of cyclone fence wth some logs on it. It's chesp and gets pretty good results. Doing it this way takes alot of back-and-fourth but it knocks off the high spots and fills in the low ones.

You'll have to reseed the enitire area when your done though.

4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending how bad it is you could areate it then roll it with a real hvy roller or might be best to just harley rake it and re seed. In the mean time I will take that Super Z off your hands:) I mean for your own safety :laugh:

5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Harley rake will most likely be your best bet then reseed as tricountry said.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Tony,

Are your rear tires aired down to 8-9psi?

I really cant see any property being rough that a Flex-Forked Z couldn't smooth out.

Unless your talking deep tire ruts or something. But it still smoothes them out pretty good.

7. TonyMeister

TonyMeister LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great feeback.

The property has several spots with deep ruts that cause me to have to slow down to a crawl.

It's just frustrating to see how fast I can go on the smooth areas...I think to myself, "man, I could be done with this entire property in 3 hours without those rough spots."

I want to try and somehow roll the property without destroying 11 acres worth of grass.

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out! Thanks again...Tony

8. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I filled a $175 yard roller from Home Depot (48" x 24"diam) with concrete. That smothes out the bumps. In fact it'll flaten it to the point that you can see the "lane" the next time around. I the spring it's normally down an inch or two. It works pretty well. It seems to pop back up in the summer though. This year I took 10 yards of sand and spread out in spots and ran something like the cyclone fence over it to spread it out. The grass will grow up through it, but the low spots get filled farly well. It's better, but not perfect. Only way to get it perfect it to till it up and re-do it all.

gps_jetskier

9. Doodyboy

Doodyboy LawnSite Member

Hire somebody with a tractor and a disc to disc it and then drag it with a graderbox or something heavy. That shouldn't cost much and does a good job of leveling.

10. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

Or, you could fill it with SAND! It's quicker, cheaper, easier, cleaner, and works just as well!! It's also much easier to dispose of an old sand filled roller when that time comes!

A cheap plastic roller filled with sand works just as well as a more expensive steel roller!

My plastic 36" x 18" sand filled roller weighs about 700 pounds. So a 48" x 24" roller could weigh about 1600 pounds! That much weight may need more of a tractor than a ZTR to tow it around 10 acres!! :weightlifter: :cry: