Rough Ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowjeep, Oct 8, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if increasing tire size front and rear by 2 inches would limit the bouncing around some. I have a suspension seat but nothing on the mower.

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How much air pressure are you running in the tires?

3. snowjeep

I run 12 psi in the rear and 18 psi in the front.

4. puppypaws

Way too much air, I run 8 lbs. in all four tires and it is like the difference in night and day. Try that, then come back and tell me how much difference you can tell.

5. snowjeep

You can go that low on the smooth front tires? Minimun in manual is 18 psi.

6. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Do what dog claws said, try it. Those tire manufacturers won't know the
    differance. ;)

7. puppypaws

I don't know what mower he is running but the Hustler Super Z manual calls for 8-10 lbs. of pressure in all 4 tires, 18 lbs. is ridiculous, it is no wonder people talk about their mowers riding so rough.

I have run that pressure for 5 years with not one flat tire or any problems from tires in any way. I can tell the difference in ride from lowering the pressure from 10 lbs. to 8 lbs, when you start talking 12 to 18 lbs. you best have your false teeth glued in good.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Same thing. Run those tires nearly flat. If you have a floating deck it won't increase scalping, so your only increased risk is breaking the bead on a tire against a curb and having to reinflate (unless you have tubes).

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had to go to tubes on my everride, the front's just kept breaking the bead at less than 25psi. the ride still is rough at 6-8psi, so I am looking to go to low-pressure atv- v- treads over the winter for more traction and going to about 3-4psi and a nice soft side wall. we ran those on my grasshopper and it rode NICE.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh on a Z remember to adjust the seat suspension on the soft side, that and learn your yards and remember to slow down some over the dips, it's a little bit like riding a horse. On that note, leaning slightly forward and away from the back rest helps lessen back slap.