Rough Ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by perfection lawn care, Apr 29, 2002.

1. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

I have finaly talked a good friend into buying a Z. The problem is that she has a very large open area, use to be a hay field, and it is not the smoothiest land. I have explained to her to demo as many units as she can and then compare to make her mind up. She had a john deere front mount dropped off and we all began to test it, but due to roughness you get beat half to death in the matter of minutes. She is planning to go with a 60" deck due to cost of a 72". Does anyone have any sugestions as to what will suit this situation best for comfort!!! She is currently mowing with a larger john deere utility mower with a 60" belly mower.

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

If the land is that rough you may want to consider a tractor
    with a linkage mount mower.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

In my years of running all kinds of machinery, from Garden tractors to 400 HP farm tractors, to industrial machinery, to now a Walker mower. ROUGH is always going to be rough. A tractor with an air ride seat will help, but I haven't been able to find one of those for a lawn mower.
    She might want to figure out some way of smoothing things out first, other wise this will never get any better. :(

4. scribbles

scribbles LawnSite Member

Try the Ferris IS. One model has 4 whl suspension. Good luck, Russ

5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have Exmarks suspension seat. Saves my back day after day. You could demo a Lazer Z XP, they come standard with them.

6. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Instead of playing with the problem, why not solve the problem. Purchase or rent a large weighted barrell and smooth out the land. With the money you would save from purchasing a large tractor or one with McPhereson struts, you could easily have smoothed out the land.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

somehow I doubt a roller would do the trick. but maybe it would. depends on how BIG of one I guess. If you aren't going to smooth it, then a bigger deck means less passes and less bumps!:D Maybe hire a farmer or someone to plow and disc it or till it, whatever, and then level-smooth and seed it? Then you've got a nice super smooth lawn that's easy to mow and looks great too? Could get expensive but if you talk to a farmer sometimes they can do the plow and disc and level part cheaper than a landscaper. you can buy a spreader and do the seed yourself.

Just my two cents worth, but hey if you don't like it, it's only two cents:D

8. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys, but I spoke with her earlier today and she cancelled the Z plan. She went out to try and mow some more and the mower got stuck on her littliest hill buy her driveway. She got upset to say the least and called the john deere dealer to come and get it. thanks anyways!

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler Z 60" with the air cushion seat or the Ferris IS 4000 61".

If this area is "new" to being used as a lawn, the roughness will go away with time. Grass in a hay field grows with empty pockets in between the grass plants because it grows tall. The pockets will fill in after a couple years of regular mowing.

Gene