Rough ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by lilguy, May 18, 2013.

1. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

What ever you buy take the hydro's into consideration and buy all the ride options available for the model you choose . When you add the smoothness of the hydro's that the Z has and a nice suspension seat along with the flex forks the over all package is hard to beat. Take into consideration the price of Ferris is more - IMO the Z is far better for everyday use.
    Some people like vanilla and some chocolate.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Green, did you buy a Ferris?

3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Personal opinion doesnt play a part in this. If your friend thinks personally the SZ rode better for him than a Ferris, than the only way would be if he wasnt operating over rough terrain...

The OP was talking about having rough terrain, so smooth hydros dont play any part in giving a better ride over rough terrain. Not to the extent that actually matters in this case!

Cant comment on your prices, but over here in aus SZ is priced higher than Ferris is.

It just gets to me a little mate, as I have owned a SZ and it was an extremely rough machine over rough ground! So to hear someone say it has a better ride than a ferris just makes me shake my head. theres absolutely no truth to that whatsoever! I know everyone has their own opinion, but I cant see how this can be disputed by anyone with some good common sense. :drinkup:

4. greenology

Hey Mick, haha look at me getting worked up again about rough SZ's...

Nah havent bought anything as yet, still have the X1 however havnt been using it, Ive actually been out of action for nearly 2 weeks & have had others doing my work for me. Home now and preying that all will be good and can get back to work in a week or so!

I contacted Gravely a few weeks back for a demo of the 400 series, they were keen to do it and meant to call me to arrange but they havnt, I havnt chased them up yet either. Also would really like to try the cheetah!

Ferris is at the top of the list but I havnt demoed anything else yet.

5. greenology

Look forward to hearing from you! Very keen to see what you think..

6. AMSOIL / AGGRAND

AMSOIL / AGGRAND LawnSite Member

I like a suspension seat v/s the Ferris independent suspension. I am getting ready to trade my Scag Tiger Cub just so I can upgrade to the suspension seat !

7. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I took my new ferris on the roughest terrian. It is a 2 acre lot with cypress knees and a bunch of major rough spots most would never now. The machine handled it like a champ. I was really giving the suspension the hardest workout. I would never go back to a fixed frame unit. Try all brands but the ride is one u will will always like at the end of the day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AMSOIL / AGGRAND

Suspension machines scalp too much.

9. greenology

How helpful you are...

10. AMSOIL / AGGRAND

The Ferris does a fabulous job because the mower deck is attached to the caster a-frames, the "other brands" that have suspension systems on the "caster itself" will scalp when mowing at 2" settings (been there tried that).

I have owned almost every design of mowing machine here on the farm and the best riding one that I have is a 72" Ferris three wheeled mower with an old fashioned spring and shock seat.