1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rough running 17 hp KAW

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawnfella, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

My 17 hp kaw has been giving me fits. I've changed the plugs, wires, and coils and I still have an intermittent miss. It seems to go away under load when you engage the blades. It also seems to run a little rich, by looking at the oil it gets dirty pretty fast after an oil change. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Is it missing or surging. Surging is when the engine speeds up and slows down and speeds up slows down, the engine wont run at a constant rpm. This is pretty much normal becuase i've heard of a lot of Kawasaki's that do this and then when a load is applied to the engine the surging stops. Kawasaki can't even figure out what makes their engines do this so they just tell you its normal or atleast thats what i've heard from some other people here on lawnsite.
  3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

you may as well order you a new carb.they dont last long i cant belive they can call this a commercial grade engine they start doing stupid stuff like this around 500 hr get ready for the oil leaks next year