Rough running ECHOS

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gulfjoe, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

They have the same amount of ethanol. 10%

Difference is octane. The higher octane helps it resist pre-ignition.

89 octane fuel, and any good 2 stroke mix should be fine in an echo. If your going to use amsoil, use it as directed. They advise 100:1. If you don't trust their recommendation, why use the product?

I suspect your Echo is set borderline lean from the factory. In the heat, it would like a little richer mix. Not the fuel/oil mix. But rather the fuel/air mix.

I don think I'd break in a new machine on it, but if I was going to run the Amsoil, I'd do it 100:1

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like the OP and some others are running Amsoil and some other oils at 100:1 or 80:1, when they had previously been running a 50:1 mix. Amsoil Saber is considered very good oil (ask Richard Martin, for example).
    I'm wondering if the problem is not the Amsoil, but changing the mix ratio from 50:1 to 100:1 or 80:1. Haven't heard anyone mentioning retuning the carb after switching to a different ratio.
    It is my understanding that you need to adjust the carb after changing the mix ratio. Can't remember if less oil makes it run richer or leaner.

3. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I am up to retuning the carb... Can you point me in the direction to a good video or set of instructions on retuning. Carbs...

4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search engine to do a search on Carburetor tuning/adjustment either here, or on Arboristsite.
    Also, ereplacement parts has videos on carb rebuilds and may have one of tuning, too.
    You may need special adjustment tools or have to use a dremel to cut a slot in the head of the hi and low screws to be able to turn them.
    If the plastic limiter caps are off the carb screws, most carbs start with the screws set at about 1 turn out from totally closed. You can carefully turn each screw in until it seats lightly, then turn it out one full turn. That should get you in the ballpark.
    The lo screw is turned in and out until the trimmer will accelerate quickly and cleanly off idle. The high speed screw is set so it will rev out well.
    I'm not an expert on this, though, so I suggest you find a good video or other information source.

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

The low screw is the idle circuit. Adjust it, so that it cleanly idles. You may need to bump up the idle a bit, while adjusting.

The high screw will pickup from idle all the way out. I hold the machine wide-open and adjust until it runs cleanly. Then, I double-check that it will cleanly accelerate.

I use 1-1/2 turns as a base.

Be sure your filter is clean, are using fresh gas, and are on a new plug.