1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rough running Lawn-Boy 2-cycle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Piedmont Lawn, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

My brother bought a new Lawn-Boy GoldPro 6.5hp 2 cycle last week and it runs rough at WOT. When you push down on the handles to lift the front wheels off the ground and hold it three for several seconds and let it back down it will sputter, blow a little smoke and go back to running rough.

I took it back to the dealer yesterday to have them check it out and they told me at WOT it runs a little rich and bumps against the governor and under a load (mowing) it will smooth out and burn the extra fuel. No grass to mowe here right now so I can’t put it to the test.

They told us all Lawn-Boy 2 cycles are like this now is the truth or BS, anybody else have a lawn-Boy that runs like this………

SAWDOC LawnSite Member

Lawnboy 2 cycles do have a surge, but without hearing it, it's hard to say whether it's excessive or not. If it is excessive, you need to have the main jet cleaned and it will run smotther.
  3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i bought 2 new ones last year, they both surged but ran smooth under a load. i did raise the rpms a little.
  4. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys,

I picked it up this evening from the shop, will let you know how it runs under a load when something around here starts growing :rolleyes:

This is our first 2 cycle mower othern than hand held equipment...

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Raising the rpm's will stop that problem point blanc, It's the governer that causes this problem.