Rough yard Smooth Ride .. Hustler VS Kubota which is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 3, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I'm considering a new Hustler Super Z , or a used ZD-28 Kubota. Today the hustler rep brought by a demo for me to try out on my property, and I was very impressed with the cut, speed, and the hillside abilities, but the ride was a little rough even with the suspension seat. I have a pretty rough yard in several places, and it would really bounce me around at times. I guess the tire pressure could have been a little high, and caused some of the roughness, but I'm not sure.

I will soon demo the ZD-28 Kubota at the owners property, but I won't be able to demo it on my property, because I don't have a way to transport it 45 miles just for a demo. If I buy it the owner would deliver it .

In your opinion will the Kubota ride better or worse on rough terrain than the Super Z ?

I know it longer, has a pivoting front axle, and it's also heavier.
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

From my demo experiences, I found the Hustler's ride a tad bit harsher then the Kubota's even with the suspension seat. Not enough to make huge difference for a homeowner in my view, but I think it might be significant for someone on the seat 8-10 hrs a day. They both had as suspension seat but I thought that the Hustler's was a little more 'bouncy' than the Kubota setup.

Both are fine mowers and will serve you well in my view. I do think the Kubota is a better unit over the long haul but for a homeowner that may not be as big a factor. The Hustler is extremely well engineered and built. I do think the Kubota Pro deck is a better deck but since the unit you're looking at is older, it may not have the Pro fabbed deck.

Which one mows the best and has the best available service/nearest dealer are two of the absolute most important factors to consider when purchasing a ZTR.

Good luck!
  3. webdrifter

The Kubota is actually a 2004 model with 325 hours on it with a pro deck. It belongs to a guy that I work with and he lives 45 miles away thus making it hard for me to do an at home demo.
  4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

That's practically new for these rugged machines. How close are the prices? If within the same range, I'd be leaning strongly towards the typically more expensive (and lower depreciation) Kubota. I also have some very rough terrain and found that lowering the tire pressure (9 psi vs 12) on my Country Clipper Charger made more of a difference in the ride than its pivoting axle and articulated deck (which do more for climbing curbs, etc.) Good luck!
  5. webdrifter

The Kubota is priced at $8000 The Hustler is priced at $7800 plus tax. The Kubota has a warranty through June 2005 to the original owner.
  6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if the Kubota has the Pro deck and is a 2004 model, for me this one is a no-brainer - buy the Kubota! (Well, as long as YOU are satisfied with the demo of course!)

You'll love the machine and the mowing quality and at that price, you won't lose any money or depreciation to speak of. And at 325 hours, the motor is just getting broken in.

Of course, check out all the other mechanicals but I'm betting you'll find that they are solid too (as long as the original owner took care of it and did the routine maintenance).

Good luck!
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The Hustler will give a rougher ride than most mowers, but there is a good reason. It is a tougher mower with a stronger frame, and being that it is a tougher mower with a stronger frame than most of its competitors it will ride a little rougher even with the suspension seat. I find the rougher ride worth the little bit of discomfort, when I consider the extra toughness of the mower and the longevity that I can expect from the machine. I love my Hustler Z and would not trade it for any other product on the market at this time. Granted...this is just an opinion, but I speak from many years of experience. I've mowed with every machine out there and I don't believe anyone is making a better product than Hustler. JMO.
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The pivoting front axel will soften up the ride a whole lot.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I think the Hustler may feel harsh because you are actually going faster then you believe you are. I experienced this when compared to my Scag Cub. I thought it was a bit rough, but I was mowing considerably faster then I was used too. It may not matter with your property, but I can mow alot of grass at 15 mph, and I do!!!:D

The engine on the Kubota may outlast the motor on the Hustler, but will anything else out last it. I am putting my money on the Hustler Deck, frame, and Hydro lines. I don't think anyone's warrenty can compare, and the best thing it, I doubt I will ever need the warrenty for these parts, the machine is built like a rock.

Good luck whichever way you go.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally beleive the Kubota is better engineered. From the tractor type transaxle to the frame and engine. The Kubota doesnt have nearly as many external hydraulic lines, belts, or the electric clutch like all the other mowers out there. Take a look at the size of the rear axle shafts on the Kubota and compare to the Hustler. Thats just an example of how well they are built.
    And if you are cutting on uneven and rough ground you will appreciate the pivoting deck wheels on the ZDs.