Round 3 and Grub together$$$$$

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Jun 24, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure most experienced Applicators are doing this. Round 3 Being a fertilzer with Mach II Selling the Round 3 as normal for the fert/spot weeds if needed, then Charging for the Grub separate. So for example Say round 3 for 40.00 Bucks. I charge 40.00 then Charge another 80.00 for the grub so the visit was for 120.00 is this a common place? or am I alone?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I don't include any insect control in any of my rounds. If insecticide is needed, it is an additional charge.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I started doing grub control w/rd 3 several years back, it saves me 2-3 weeks of work!

4. J Hisch

of course it's additional just killing 2 birds with one stone and one pass. and getting paid for both

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I will never again use Mach II. M-E-R-I-T is how I spell grub control.

I agree with everything else you said.

6. J Hisch

What happened with the Mach II, didnt control?

7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Thats exactly what I do, with new customers I leave a postcard explaining the double invoice and let them know if they need more time to pay thats ok.

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

It absolutely did not control! I had 10-15 lawns that were infested as if they had no treatment at all. Told my Lesco rep in the fall that control looked "iffy" and I wanted to speak to the Dow rep. She never called. By Spring I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing apps and replacing destroyed turf. I demanded a call from the Dow rep. She called, left a message asking what species of grub and soil ph. I wasn't able to get back to her and a week later she called again sounding annoyed. I never did speak to her. Like I have time to ID grub secies and check soil ph on 15 lawns in April. Seems to me that should be her job at that point. More than a few companies locally experienced the same failure of that product.

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I've had that happen too. A buddy of mine says any time you use Mach II for grubs ya might as well order your Dylox at the same time.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

That is the major drawback to Mach II. The timimg of application for each species of grub only allows a very small window. If you have Aetanius and you are applying Mach II for Japanese or Chafer, your control is not going to give favorable results. Raster ID'ing only takes a second or two in the field to tell what grubs are there.