1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

round 6 never got done - early ice/snow storms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Dec 7, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

A good friend of mine who owns a lawn care franchise just got started with his last round when 5 inches of snow & freezing rain fell last week. Now nearly all of his fert still sits at his disributer's warehouse. Today we got hit again with 4 - 5 inches of snow. Now 4 more inches of additional snow are expected within 72 hours.:dizzy: He's a one-man operation, so loss of income plus high prices for early spring fert really hurt him. Too bad cuz he's a very honest & hard working guy.:usflag:

Anybody else not able to finish their winter app's etc due to early winter weather? rscvp, thanks.
  2. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

We still have 175 accounts to do.I"m hoping the snow melts this weekend so we can finish early next week
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I got hit too! Only have about 3 days of work left! planning on finishing up next week when its supposed to be close to 50! I was really feeling bad til I had lunch with a fellow LCO and he still had over 200 accounts to get done!
  4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope your friend realizes that as long as his lawns still have color, the window is still open for responsibly putting down a Winterizer application.
  5. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Same here, I am a one man show and still have about half (~30) lawn to put to bed.

I never ran into this situation before and am glad to read about it. I plan on waiting for the snow to melt, hustle and get things done. This makes sense from my standpoint but what about customers that think it is to late for the final round when I know it isn't?

I had one customer say that he didn't expect to see me again until next year. I explained, made the application, invoiced, and ADIOS.

How do you boys handle it?
  6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd explain to them that as long as their lawn has color, the root system is active. Since the goal of a Winterizer application is to feed the root systems of your lawns, it's still a great time to put those apps down.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm sure he does. He's been in lawn care for about 20 years now, and does quality work, but we've gotten spoiled the past few years -- when the first snowfall ocurred in mid December or even early January.

We finished all but four lawns (round 5, winterizer), the remaining four lawns had too many leaves. We tried 5 times during a 5 or 6 week period, but these four never mowed or knew what a rake was. One of these lawns was prepaid, but they ain't gettin' money back due to the cost of the five trips we made to their property.

I hope the rest of you guys get your final app done, but here that ain't gunna happen. Plowed snow twice already, and it looks like a disaster zone. I even pulled out our mailman (lady) cuz she got stuck on the shoulder of the highway in front of our office this afternoon. (got it plowed out now).:weightlifter:

More snow coming very soon -- hope it misses you guys, but we need the snow removal income to pay for outrageous fertilizer costs (I swear one of the trace elements is GOLD).:laugh:

8. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to keep these customers for next year, you MUST write a short letter to EDUCATE the customer that this round is NOT a waste of money. Enclose it with the invoice. The soil is not frozen so the fertilizer will be absorbed and used, roots are still actively growing .....etc. Otherwise the customer will feel you are just trying to get extra money from them.
  9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, maybe if he's one of those 'old schoolers' that actually thinks 46-0-0 works as a winterizer, he can still justify himself by doing the yard and the driveway and sidewalks too and just going ahead and billing them for ice removal while he's at it!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

When i used to work at trugreen, we left money on the table. If it was prepaid then the prepay would carry over to the next season. The other companies i worked at were smaller, so money was never left on the table.