Round-Up Alternative?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oceanpotion, May 28, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Im trying to save money on my weed killer. When I first started working for a landscaper I remember that he would mix up some special potion into his spray pump. I think he may have used some kind of acid. I did a google search and found a recipe for 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dish soap, 1 gal. vinegar. Unfortunately alot of the houses I service have orange/red bricks and I dont want to bleach the color using the vinegar. Is there something I can mix myself to use as an alternative to round up weed killer?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Salt water works, as long as you use a lot of salt. If you look around, there are lots of other non-selective herbicides out there that do the same thing as round up, but are a few bucks cheaper.

3. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

So basically what you are saying is use a lot of salt water.. that sounds like it will hurt the other plants.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

so lets do the math here. on gallon of roundup or similar 41% glyphosate runs around 47 bucks... you will need to use 4 oz of roundup for every gallon of water....or about 1.48 worth of roundup....

the cheapest gallon of vinegar I found at safeway.com was a touch over 2 bucks.....

Just use roundup....provided you have the lic....if you don't have the lic, you cannot spray the home made brew for money either... but even so by using home brew chemicals you are costing yourself more money, plus more headache to mix all these these together and transport, ect...

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 4l% glyphosate at the rate of 3 Tablespoons per gallon of water and it works well for me. I buy the 2-1/2 gallon container on sale at TSC and it runs just under $50.00 including tax.

This figures $5.00 per quart and each quart makes about 21-1/3 gallons per quart. That is about 24 cents a gallon.

Nosmo

6. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I saw a guy spraying weeds along a fence last week with some stuff that looked pale green. I guess it was colored so you could see where you sprayed it. Went by there today and everything was brown. Anybody know what that stuff was?

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

he could have added scythe (which makes the water white, and if he added dye a pale green)

I always hated the dye....

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You can buy razor pro(41% glyphosate) off ebay. It is 5 gallons for $120 shipped to my house... that is approximately $24 per gallon. I am supposed to be getting a 50-55 gallon drum of round-up for about $400 from the guy I sub all my applications to.

9. SnDLawnCare

SnDLawnCare LawnSite Member

Even if you use a home brew you still have to have a lic. Why it's not a chemical?Just curious

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use salt. Nothing will be able to grow and you can't get the salt out of the ground.