1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Round up Alternatives

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rlclawnguy, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

What other product are people using besides Round up with similar results. I'm going through a good 100 gallons a year and would like to see if there is a better economical choice without giving up to much of the results. Thanks for the help!
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a big fan of Razor Burn. The Diquat in it gives a quick burn down. You get a quick burn down, with a thorough kill. What more could you ask for from a non-selective herbicide.
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We're squirtin Kilz-All (41% glyphosate) for non-select control. Cost about .60 cents a gallon. Sometimes we spike it with a little Reward (diquat). This year we went through a little over 800 gallon.
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

by other than roundup, do you mean alternatives to glyphosate?

or just a different brand of packaged glyphosate?
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Most genetic 41% Glyphosate is in Fact Roundup Original manufactured by Monsanto with a Genetic Label. After Monsanto lost the Patent, they wanted to retain the profit of the most economically successful pesticide ever invented.

This past season, I could get 55 gallon drums of Genetic Glyphosate delivered for under $ 600, or about $ 10 a gallon. I am sure prices have gone up a least a little due to fuel prices. Northern Tool sells Drum Dollies and Bun hole spouts for easier handling of the 55 gallon drums. Tip & Pours With proper labels can easily be refilled from the 55 gallon drum with the proper Bun hole spout.

I believe 30 gallons Drums are also available
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Any generic glyphosate will work great and you can save tons of money! Over the past three years the price has dropped significantly as there were tons on companies manufactuing generics!

Monsanto has purchased most of them and their are very few left which also means the price has gone up BIG TIME!

The product that I used last year (Duplikator 5.5 by Drexel) isn't even available any more. I asked my supplier why and he said that Monsanto purchased them!

Right now generic gly is running about $19.50/gallon...and after the 1st of the year it is supposed to be going up anohter $6-8/gallon.

I would get it now if you are looking for a good deal.

Just like everything else...you are going to pay more then last year!
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

PM me if you want to reduce your costs by at least 25%.
  8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Generic gly is a pretty economical weed killer. If you are mixing at the highest rate, depending on the weeds you're spraying maybe you can back the rate down and still get good control. Spraying weeds early when they are small makes them much easier to kill. Check your nozzle selection, I see alot of people way overapplying. You can also use pre-m's, mulch, and irrigation adjustment to help you control weeds.
  9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The entire Gly market is rising not just due to energy but also the Gly-ready crop market is growing like mad. Nu-Farm is probably making as much as Monsanto at this point. Folks who use a lot might do well to look for a terms program & stock up now to avoid increases.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

My main use of Gly is Chemical Mowing of Industrial and Agi sites. Tip selection, pump pressure and ground speed are very important factors in Chemical mowing. The bi-product of Chemical Mowing is selective weed control.

I see after Santa Claus parked the reindeer, he kicked back to read Lawnsite. Merry Unspecified Religious Holiday to you.

Last night on the News they discussed the rising price of Wheat. Crop failure around the world and rising costs of production are to blame. I don't believe this is the "Trickle Down Effect" that Ronald Regan was talking about.