1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Round up Bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dodgeplower, Feb 28, 2008.

1. dodgeplower

dodgeplower LawnSite Member

I have 3300sqft and 12000 linear feet to spray with round up. Any idea how i should bid this
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Know your cost (inputs, overhead and time) and make a profit.

That is about the only answer I can give you.
  3. dodgeplower

I am new to spraying round up. I really have no idea of my coverage for an area like that.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Sorry to ask....but are you licensed?

Roundup (Gly) is one of the easiest products to use...and with you not knowing how much to use or the area it will cover it made me ask?

If you are licensed...read the label. It is all on there in black and white.

I personally use a 2-3% solution when using a 41% product. It also depends on what kind of weeds you have and their size.

Takes very little gallons to kill with Glyphosate.

You can go as low as 5-6 gallons/acre and still get an excellend kill!

Hope this helps!
  5. dodgeplower

Yes I am licensed. I am used to just spot treating areas for weed control using the same rates you mentioned. I was only unsure of this bid because it is requiring no vegetaion in the 3300 sqft as well as the 12000 linear feet of fence. That totals just over 15000 sqft with a one foot spray along the fence. I was just unsure how much that may use.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using back pack or hand sprayer--or skid sprayer?

I would--spray water on 1000 sq ft of cement. Determine exactly how much water you used. Repeat to be sure. Mix accordingly using the label and sqft as a guide.

Is this really a bare ground vegetation control job? In that case, remember Roundup only lasts one day. New weeds will soon arise. Perhaps you need something longer lasting.
  7. dodgeplower

Yes I am considering something longer lasting and also though of doing those calibrations on concrete to figure everything out. Problem is they sent the bid specs yesterday and they are due tommorrow. makes it hard for things like that. It will all be sprayed from a gator with a tank sprayer
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you know the area...you can still submit your quote.

You can calibrate your sprayer anytime after you submit the quote.

Take the area x ai x price of material + markup = Total
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I charge about 16-20 bucks a gallon plus some time (stop fee)when I do things like this. This is a GREAT seller, and has an extremely high margin. It is worth it to the homeowner, because it costs THEM this much to do it themselves. Think about it....By the time they go to Home Depot and buy the stuff ($12-15 a gallon), drive it back home, and pay themselve 2 dollars an hour to spray it,.... NOW, look at how much they use....They take their "way cool" little prayer bottle wity the nifty trigger, aim, and spray. The first squirt goes to the right of their target...the second squirt goes to the right of their target,...and the 3rd hits what they're aiming for. Their gallon jug covers about what a THIRD of HALF a gallon of ours out of a bp sprayer does, because we have a wand that goes right down to the target, and we use a couple of drops.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Also if you do decide to use a soil sterilant make sure you build this cost in also. These types of products are gonna ballpark 20-30$ per 10,000 m2 material cost alone.