round-up for regulator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LP, Mar 25, 2003.

1. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used r-u at low rates for regulating growth on warm season grasses, specificly bermuda and if so what rate, im not concerned with burning I just dont want to kill it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Round up is used as a regulator in citrus orchards on a regular basic here in Florida. Citrus Growers use a two tank two boom spray systems One tank is 1% AI and is sprayed under trees to kill all weeds. the Other tank is 0.16 to 0.5% AI and is sprayed between tree lines to inhibit growth of the grass. This cuts Bush hog costs. Round Up is very cheap on a per 1,000 sq ft cost at 0.16 to 0.5 % AI. Rate or 40 Gallons per acre of finished spray is used for regulator application.

There are Two basic Type of growth regulator and how they work on the plant is something I can not remember at this Time and I am too lazy to look it up. Primo Maxx Works one way and is the better type of Growth regulator. Round Up works the other way and stuns or stresses the turf to the point of no or little growth.

Now an Important point here is Citrus growers real don't care if they burn or even kill the grass between the trees in a few places. The visual quality of the turf is not important. However they do want grass between the trees for erosion control.

Bermuda grass is a very hardy grass and is real hard to get a total kill on even with 1% AI Round Up and Fusida II applied Four times 10 days apart.

Now a couple of things I have found about Round Up as a growth regular. 1.) Round Up will not work on wet ground or wet turf. 2.) Boom sprayer with tracker Dye is a must if you want an even application. 3.) Round Up at low rates can be use on turf as a broad leaf control at low rates. Sand spurs in Bahia, Round Up works best.

3 oz of 41% Round Up == 1% AI per gallon

1.5 oz of 41% Round Up == 0.5% AI per gallon

0.5 oz of 41% Round Up === 0.16% AI per gallon

Bottom Line Use a boom sprayer with tracking dye at 1 gallon per thousands and 0.5 oz of 41% round Up to start and increase Round Up % if response is not good.

I would not use this on fine turf, but you have expressed that you are not concerned with fine turf. Therefore I have given you what you need for low maintained turf
  3. LP

LP LawnSite Member

I appreciate your advice, thanks for taking time to help me!
  4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Ric, that was an excellent, well thought out and easily understood post. Thank you very much.

Will M>