Round Up in Asian Jasmine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dogdad, Sep 21, 2001.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

Can any one give me opinions on spraying round up in asian jasmine to kill back the weeds,,, BUT NOT BURN THE JASMINE> I have had 2 opinions: 1/2 ounce per gallon,,,,, 1 1/2 ounces per gallon. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Dogdad,

What kind of weeds are you tareting? Are the weeds so inter-mingled with the jasmine that a directed spray won't work? Is their enough difference of height to allow the use of a wick applicator?
    I ask because there are several very effective "over the top" herbicides that are much more selective than Roundup. If you have these types of weeds, you won't need to risk using Roundup.

Thanks, Steve

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dogdad looked in my book and can not find asian jasmine? I am in zone 10 and you are zone 8 I am guessing. I R.U. 1% A.I. over confederate jasmine and downy jas all the time. If the F. is Oleanceae and G. is Jasminum I will bet you that plant r.u. will work. If the plant lives you win and if it dies you and I lose. Let me know. 1/2 oz will only stunt most weeds. 1/2 oz is growth regulator rate. I would start with 1.5 oz. 41% RU Pro= (0.5% A.I.)

4. carltip

carltip LawnSite Member

dogdad
    We use round-up quite often to kill any weeds growing in jasmine (at least the ones you can normally expect to be controlled).
    We use pro at anywhere from 1oz/gal to 2.5oz/gal. As long as the jasmine is healthy and not stressed it will have no effect.