Round up in my Perma Green?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bart may, May 25, 2004.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Have a customer who wants me to spray a vacant field with Round Up. Have any of you sprayed through your PG? The label calls for 6oz/gall. I'm not sure what rate to use. Thanks for your help.

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

A smart chicken wouldnt be doin that friend.

I know that you can neutralize the system afterward but I'd think long and hard on this one.

I would be concerned with contamination in your PG and the chance of damaging turf after you do the round up.

Do you have a spray tank you no longer use or could you somehow do the job with a back pack?

3. bart may

from montana

The lot is about an acre in size. That seems a bit large to use a back pack on. I realize that I would have to basically "Triple Rinse" my system.

4. I would never, ever, ever put Round up through my PG.

Even if you change the tank, you still may have a residual in the system.

Triple rinsing sounds good, but other people have done that and used a neutralizer, and still burned lawns.

Unless you are ready to make that perma-green a "Round up only" machine, I would advise against it.

It is worth it to you to take the chance for one acre of field?

5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I would take the advise of the guys up above, if the lot is weedy just apply weed control, or back pack with round up.

When I go out to do bed maintenance I spray about 2a worth of beds, of course there at different houses, but you can do it with a back pack.

6. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

I have sprayed roundup out of my PG before. I rinsed the tank out twice, mixed up some Trimec, and sprayed a few lawns. Didn't hurt a thing.

7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

when i first started in business, i would use one tank for lawns and tree/shrub service. I'd rinse the thing 3 times after spraying weed control before filling to spray trees. Never had a problem....BUT I dont recommend it!!

I go along with the majority here, dont do it

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Just do it. I switch back and forth all the time with no problems. Have been for 8 years. Dont be a chicken.

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

We have sprayed round up out of our tank sprayer rinsed once with a neutralizer no problem with burning.

10. bart may

from montana

I feel like a little kid on a playground with all my friends telling me to one thing or another. I do appreciate the advise though. I guess I'll keep thinking about it. Does anyone know the rate I should spray with though.