round up in same tank as fertilizer and weed control

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jeff_0, Jul 27, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

do any of you all use the same spray tank as for round up, fertilzer and weed control. or do you buy another tank to do this.
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

How big of tank we talking. If your talking back pack sprayers then yes one for each. If your talking a large skid tank then no I try not to use it for roundup unless I have a huge job to do.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never use roundup in a large tank.

Years ago had a friend that had to spray a large area of roundup as a subcontract for someone he knew.

Washed it out a couple times, then a week later sprayed Hemlocks. Killed the entire line.........................

Actualy we have seperate pump sprayers for lawn weed killer, roundup, and nutsedge, insecticide.
  4. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I have a 200 gallon Lesco spray unit. I use it for both but I make darn sure it is thoroughly cleaned after round-up. I have some very large areas that I total kill. After they are done I run the tank dry, add 25 gallons of water and run it dry again to get out the concentrated product in the bottom. Then I fill it up completely with water, circulate for 15minutes operating the psi regulator and all other valves, pump it dry, then add Lesco tank cleaner and follow all label directions. Use an area that has already been treated with round-up to spray your rinsing water providing it is large enough that with all of this volume you won't have a run-off problem. Make sure to clean the hoses as well as the tank and after using the Lesco stuff I even rinse it again with 50 gallons of water to get out all of the detergent.

This might be overkill but I recall a story of a company who did some tree/shrub insect control after using their tank for lawn apps. The residual broad leaf herbicide damaged/killed 6 digits in trees and shrubs. Insurance paid for the damage but they wound up going out of business due to this. :(
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

This was brought up a short time ago. Do a search on the subject. But in short, no, I do not use R-up in my sprayer. I use my sprayer as a water source and hook a hose-end sprayer to it and add the R-up concentrate to the hose end sprayer.
  6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

How do you calibrate the rate? I thought of doing that but got scared of not knowing the rate it would put out. what type of hose end sprayer do you use?
  7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have used the same large 300 gal tanks for round up as herbicide but then again the time to do the clean out sometimes doesn't justify using it unless it a large job. when I use it, it gets Nutrisol twice after and pumped thru the system for at least a half hour each time. In most situations I'll use a seperate backpack for round up on most jobs.
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

that hose end sprayer is a great tip. Thats the reason I come here. Simple and and a no brainer but I would have never thought of it without your input. I used it on 11/K a couple of weeks ago. Saved tons in clean up rinse and neutralizer. No mater how long or how much ya know, somebody(like you) always knows how to do it better. Thanks again
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to go aganist the grain here and say it is ok to spray all three. The only rules is don't spray ornamental with the same sprayer. I am not going to get into a this won't hurt that thing. My bottom line is if you empy the tank, the next mix will be so low a constrate it will not hurt turf. I use seperate tanks because I am spraying them every day. Up north you don't have to spray as much as we do. I think you can get away with one turf tank, sure keep it clean but don't sweat it. 2-4-D is the worst for tank residual.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Phil - I use an Ortho Dial-A-Spray. It has graduated settings on it. Pour Round-up in the jar, dial to your setting (amt. of chem/gallon) and spray away.