Round-up linked to health dangers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grassmechanic, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Roll your eyes if you wish, but the ubiquitous use of Round Up is bound to cause health issues.

You can read the study here:
    http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

This is a lengthy read, but it good to be informed.

3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

I will agree that I don't like the idea of using it on food crops.

4. phasthound

and that is the gist of the report. We are what we eat.

As for the effect on the health of applicators and the environment... I don't know. I do know there is a cost effective way to reduce the rate of application by at least 25%.

5. Your not gonna get out of this world alive.

6. phasthound

True, but I'd rather be healthy than ill while I'm here.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone who doesn't believe that the massive increase in cancers and neurological diseases has nothing to do with processed foods\GMO's\pesticides applied to our foods is touched.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Glyphosate is/has been the second most studied/tested pesticide, right behind 2,4D. It's safety has passed every criteria, except those of folks who have agendas against pesticide use. Glyphosate has a LD50 number of 4,300. In comparison, table salt is 3,000, and simple grain alcohol is even lower. In other words, table salt and alcohol will kill you before gly if ingested in equal amounts. Cancers and neurological issues are more closely linked to non-stick coatings like teflon.

9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Could the increases also be attributed to the fact that we are better at identifying these diseases than we used to?

10. phasthound

The only people who believe this are those who have agendas against Teflon. :)