Round-Up on Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Feb 3, 2009.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a serious question for you'll.

I will be starting my Round 1 on the 15th. I took a ride around to the lawns today and noticed that several of my lawns have some fescue clumps in them, there mostly bermuda lawns. Now I know there is some products that I can use to get rid of it (Revolver, Corsair), but both of these product take such a long time to kill; I know because I used them last season.

Im sure Round-Up (Razor Pro is what I using) will give me a faster kill but Im afraid of the effects it will have on the bermuda. Now I have read time and time again that it wont effect the bermuda as long as it is dormant, but Im still a little skeptical. I would hate to have everything going well then in April we end up with spots in the lawn were we spot sprayed. :cry:

Has anyone done this with good results? Is there any other suggestions to help with this situation?

Thanks in advance!:drinkup:

2. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

as long as its dormant it will be okay.

3. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

I do it occasionally. We have had some SERIOUSLY cold weather and the grass should be good and dormant. That being said don't be suprised with brown spots this spring. they will green up and fill in quick though. Corsiar and Revolver are good products but they really need the warm weather to work.

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

How bad will the brown spots be? Will it blend in with the other turf coming out of dormancy or will it be really noticable?

Thanks for your input.

5. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

The brown spots will appear becuase you killed off the fescue that was growing there. We did one back in december, it looks great!

6. IRRITECH

The brown spots will be noticeable because it is damamged bermuda. The chance that your bermuda is 100% dormant in every spot you spray are slim to none. That being said the spots will grow in an disappear very quickly.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

2 or 3 monthly applications of Image along with 1 application of simazine after full greenup does a lot to suppress and eventually remove many grassy weeds from bermuda. No, it does not work fast, but it also does not make holes in the lawn, especially if the lawn is well fertilized and mowed at the correct height.

8. IRRITECH

You are right, however, fescue in Bermuda is an issue for us. Not something we can really afford to wait on with most accounts. Bermuda is brown and dormant at this point in the year and fescue is nice green clumps.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The residual effect of Image and simazine should help to discourage growth of new fescue. You probably have a seed bank in the soil perpetuating the problem. Sencor also works and can be used in dormant bermuda. This one is a lot faster than the simazine and Image.

10. IRRITECH

Problem is we aerate/overseed the fescue in early to mid September. There is seed everywhere. Alot of our lawns are half bermuda and half Fescue, so not getting seed in the bermuda is impossible. Usually the spring pre-emerge will stop germination but not always.

I wonder if an August app of simazine would help. Simazine is cheap.