Round-up on feet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeff11, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Jeff11

Jeff11 LawnSite Member

No, I didn't have round-up on my feet, but it sure seems like it. Got a bit of a problem, hoping some of you might have had experience with. Driving by one of my houses the day after I cut it I noticed lots of brown stripes and little (well not so little) brown footprints right in the middle of the stripes on an otherwise really nice lawn. Didn't take much to figure that my tires (48" WB) left the the brown tracks. But I was shocked that my footprints did too. You could even see the shape of my shoe. It looked just like I painted round-up on my tires and feet with every step. Has anyone ever seen this before? The only other info I can think of is that he has a fert. service and it was in the high 80's in the afternoon and sunny. Please help 'cause it looks really bad, and I would like to fix it if possible. (Sorry this was so long.)
    :(

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You had something on your tires/feet. Just gotta figure out what so it does not happen again. Have you checked the rest of your route for that day to see if others have damage? What kind of turf is it? Hot or not the fert. service did not have anything to do with it.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

In the HEAT of the summer, I'll get burn like this sometimes. But then most of the lawn is brown.

Was the grass "crispy"?

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe there was an oil patch or something that you accidentally went through on the way to the lawn.

5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

JEFF11 - not much you can do now as the damage is done, mother nature will fix the problem when the temps drop and the grass is less stressed. You hit it at the wrong time with your mower (probably hottest part of the day) and I would guess there has not been any rain for a few days (probably your customer is the non watering type). Tell the owner what has happened (I am sure they have seen the stripes) and explain that watering the lawn would go a long way in preventing this from happening again. If this is the only lawn that you are having a problem with try mowing in the cooler times of the day, either morning or late afternoon.

BobR

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

BobR called it right, drought stress, seen it happen many times, also footprints by the mailman walking on a lush lawn still frozen in the morning in early spring will do similar things.