1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Round up over Asian Jasmine ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfPro, Feb 17, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Has anyone used Round-up (actually genaric "Glyphos" 41%) to control grassy weeds directly over Asian Jasmine ? If so what % did you use and what was your opinion of the results? Is there something you prefer instead?

Thanks for your time
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have not used round up on ornamentals, unless i wanted a total kill. Use Ornament, its slow to work but its great control.
  3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Fusilade (spelling?) should do that job...
  4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Clay, go w3ith Fusilade
  5. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Try classic Trimec. It works great a wild vines of all sorts. $20 a gallon, concentrated. Good luck.
  6. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Great, thanks for the replies.
    My local chem guy doesn't carry Fusilade II ,so that's why I was asking,,,,,,,,,it sure seems as though I read somewhere that Round up could be used over the top of some ornamentals provided you used the right %,,,it also seems like I remember it having some growth inhibiting properties as well,if used right.

Thanks again
  7. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

You can try another "over the top" product called "Post"...
    I believe it has the same active ingredient as Fusilade... Also, there is an "over the top" product from PBI Gordon (I think it may be Ornamec), but my experience is that it doesn't work as good.

As far as using Roundup over the top... all I can say is DANGEROUS.... While it is used as a growth regulator in small amounts for turf in hard to mow and low quality areas (roadsides), it is designed as a killer... I've never heard of it being used for your purpose. I can't imagine applying it strong enough to kill the grasses without killing the broadleaf (which would actually suck up more to the chemical because of the larger foilage area)...

Please let us know what happens if you give Roundup a try???

Good Luck, Clay
  8. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Haha;) I think I'll pass this go around,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, musta had a case of brain fade.

I've heard of Poast,I just didn't know how well it worked.
    They want $125.00 for Fusilade here,so I need other alternatives.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup can be used as a selective killer, but you cannot sell it that way if you care about your reputation and your license, LOL. If you thoroughly understand the activity of the chemicals you use, you would know that Roundup and most other herbicides we use are absorbed by above ground tissue, then translocated to rest of plant for a total kill.

2,4-D will nail the dandelions and not severly hurt the grass - but it is a stress on grass. That is because you apply 2,4-D at the right concentration that grass blades do not get a fatal dose, but broadleaves do because they have a much larger surface area to absorb more chemical. Increase your dosage and you can kill your grass also.

Concerning Roundup, grass is very susceptable even at a 1% rate (1oz/gal of 41% AI Roundup). IF THE GRASS IS ACTIVELY GROWING!! I have cleaned grass out of many ground covers and perennial beds with Roundup. Key is to use the Roundup when the grass is still growing but the ground cover is not, so the desired plants do not absorb any chemical. Late fall is ideal for many beds; groundcovers are not metabolizing and perennials are already browned for the winter, but grass is still growing (in my cool season turf environment). In mild winters, I have sprayed grass in perennial beds with Roundup during a Feb warmup, and gotten 100% control.

As far as groundcovers, have repeatedly cleaned grasses from euonymous in Nov. Also out of juniper in early spring (juniper starts growth later than most plants). BUT, these jobs are sold as total kill and replant groundcover, because beds are such a mess. Client then gets a really pleasant surprise when the expensive replanting does not have to be done, but the grasses are completely gone.

For the case in question, I would recommend using the above mentioned selective grassy controls. Takes many years of experience with chemicals, and knowledge of specific plant biology, to use chemicals in special uses I stated above.
  10. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks GroundKprs,

That explains a lot. I'll do some more research.